16' Sylvan semi-V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Hull color/combo?

• Green/White

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Blue/White

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Olive Drab

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Powder blue

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Raw aluminum

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
Ictalurus said:
Bashepard

Your boat looks great, and that 40 seems to push it quite well. Although probably not essential, you may want to drop some deck supports down from your braces, maybe somewhere near the seat post. And you also may want to consider slapping three to four good thick coats of spar urethane on the wood as opposed to the Thompson's. As far as the carpet, I have used outdoor carpet glue from Lowe's on two builds with no problems, just wrapped around with an extra two inches and stapled it down. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks for the input, however im on a budget and already had the TWS laying around so i soaked it on. Also, i made the deck so that it is removeable. I will be adding those supports you mentioned when i add the seat plates later.

New pictures. Progressing slowly. Comments? Questions? Concerns?

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,395
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,395
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,395
  • photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 1,395
  • photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1,395
So, Im laying the carpet on my sole foredeck and sterndeck and everything was going smoothly. Installed per glue instructions and left upside down with weights providing pressure. this morning, i leave for work and it had rained. getting the peices wet!! Will this be a problem as it was only 18 hrs into the curing process?

So the carpet was WET! I flipped the platforms over and set them in place and in the sun. Hope the moisture didnt ruin $150 worth of supplies. I still have to cut the carpet sroung the holes in the fordeck.

Any suggestions about the best way to dress the surrounds of the hatches? Lke how wide a gap between the door and the hole? And, how to attach the carpet to the frame.

Thanks, y'all are a treasure trove of info!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 1,033
The semester is over, so ill be able to start getting some real work done. Today, i got the console wood cut to the correct angle and it mounted. Also, the hole for the steering system. Tomorrow, I've got to figure out how to properly measure to find out where to drill the hole in the floor for control cables.

Big thanks to Rook for the inspiration.

Attachments

• photo-12.jpg
    photo-12.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,009
  • photo-14.jpg
    photo-14.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,009
  • photo-13.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 1,009
Maiden voyage yesterday!

Its name is ProCastination.

More pictures to come. \

Attachments

• DSCN0692.jpg
    DSCN0692.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 991
  • DSCN0693.jpg
    DSCN0693.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 991
So, after last summer I was dissatisfied with the amount of HP on the ole' sylvan.

BTW, turns out it's an '89 sylvan snapper.

Found an 85 hp Yamaha. However, after rebuilding the transom, I'm a little afraid it's A. too much power (I dont think there is such thing) and B. going to rip the transom right out of the hull.

Since i know you guys are not short on opinions, what do you think?

Better pictures in the coming week.

Attachments

• photo 1-2.JPG
    photo 1-2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 347
  • photo 2-2.JPG
    photo 2-2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 347