1648 princecraft---first mod. ( pics added)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day

New to the site. Lots of great info.

I am just starting my first Jon Boat conversion/modification----a 15' 10" Princecraft Jon. I bought it new in 2002 and am just finally now getting around to the mods I wanted to make 8 years ago :roll:

I will post pics over the next few days...I hope to get some feedback before I start.

Thank you !

Here is what I have to work with.
Still undecided on exactly how it will end up. I do want to extend the front casting deck and add a pedestal seat for casting . I am debating about how long to extend the deck.....we are talking about maybe 2 to 3 feet more, but maybe we should go completly to the middle seat ??

Will be using 2x4s and brackets to build the frame for the casting deck.

We will be putting the trolling motor and battery up front to distribute weight. I have an 8 hp jonhson and a 4 hp merc for back up( Will be fishing heavy current rivers)Also Thinking about adding some deck lighting, aerator for the livewell etc.

Probably going to use clamp on seats for the middle and back seat for now( until I figure out what I want)

Any suggestions before I proceed ?

boat1001.jpg

boat1002.jpg

boat1003.jpg

boat1004.jpg

boat1005-1.jpg

aaronthetaxidermist said:
Thank you !

Probably going to use clamp on seats for the middle and back seat for now( until I figure out what I want)

Welcome. I would use no seats before using the clamp on ones. I think they are dangerous.

About your front deck, i think you should just go ahead and deck it all the way back to the front seat. That gives you lots of room under it for storage and you'll also have plenty up top to move around on.. stack tackle boxes.. so on. Only coming out 2-3 feet doesn't give you alot of standing room.

Truckmechanic said:
aaronthetaxidermist said:
Thank you !

Welcome. I would use no seats before using the clamp on ones. I think they are dangerous.

I bought a clamp on from Cabelas just to see how it would work....it seems ok, but I understand what your saying about the safety issue. Makes me rethink things a little.....

Mojo said:
About your front deck, i think you should just go ahead and deck it all the way back to the front seat. That gives you lots of room under it for storage and you'll also have plenty up top to move around on.. stack tackle boxes.. so on. Only coming out 2-3 feet doesn't give you alot of standing room.

Point taken. A longer deck sounds good to me anyway....Will see how things go when I start the build ( hopefully this weekend)

Latest posts