Newbie from Montana

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilby

Reaction score
Hey all, new to forum. I guess I signed up here at some point in the past. First post. I have a 1987 Alumacraft Super Bandit with a 1987 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke. I am currently in the process of a complete restore. I have been deployed for the last year so I have just been ordering parts and goodies. Finally back at it. This has been a long process but finally starting to look like something water worthy again. Hope to share some pics (is there a post limit in order to post pics?) and seek some of the knowledge here along the way.

Hey Gilby, welcome to Tinboats. It’s good to have another westerner on the forum. I’m over in Spokane county. Looking forward to seeing your project.

Welcome to Tin Boats. Great place to get help without allot of contraversy.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your project.

Welcome & no there doesnt seem to be a limit of posts before being able to post photos.

Would anyone be so kind as to share how to post pics? I obviously have no idea what I am doing. Tried the images button that then wants a URL. Do pics need to be online somewhere first?

Maybe I got it figured out. Hopefully these pics show up. So, just a few photos. Showing what I started with. Boat wasn't in terrible shape but not great. Had a few leaks and the wiring was a disaster to say the least. Started out as just wanting to fix a few of the issues, then turned into a complete restoration. Pics are boat in original condition, a couple with the new paint. Tore every last thing out of it to start new. All new plumbing, wiring, had a new console and new gas tank made as well. last pic is some of the framing. It is a little further along than that now. Will try to get a few updated pics today.

I have seen a lot of projects start and die in forums in my searching. Should I start a new thread as a build thread? Don't want to be posting where I am not supposed to be.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_132847.jpg
    IMG_20200419_132847.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220831_174102.jpg
    20220831_174102.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220831_184829.jpg
    20220831_184829.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230219_180052.jpg
    20230219_180052.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240328_165538.jpg
    20240328_165538.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 0
I like it! Yes, I think you should start a build thread. You can start one and add to it as you get work done. That will keep your poject all in one spot and it will move to the top as you add more work to the mix. A number of us watch thsoe threads and you can throw questions out there on various aspects and challenges as the project progresses.

Looking good. You are a talented painter.
Thanks. I have done a few smaller things. This was the first time painting something of this magnitude. It turned out pretty good. LOTS and LOTS of prep. I had never been so tired of sanding in my life. Even though pretty much every last part of the boat will be brand new, I tried to stick with the "old school" look of the old boats. Just more modern colors. The "alumacraft" on the side is a sticker. Put it on and did a light sanding on it hoping it would look more like paint and not a sticker before applying clear. Turned out pretty good. By touching it, you can just barely feel the rise of the sticker. Overall, not bad for using a harbor freight spray gun!

Thanks. I have done a few smaller things. This was the first time painting something of this magnitude. It turned out pretty good. LOTS and LOTS of prep. I had never been so tired of sanding in my life. Even though pretty much every last part of the boat will be brand new, I tried to stick with the "old school" look of the old boats. Just more modern colors. The "alumacraft" on the side is a sticker. Put it on and did a light sanding on it hoping it would look more like paint and not a sticker before applying clear. Turned out pretty good. By touching it, you can just barely feel the rise of the sticker. Overall, not bad for using a harbor freight spray gun!
Gilby,
I think the paint job is 1st Class and looks terrific!

Hey all, new to forum. I guess I signed up here at some point in the past. First post. I have a 1987 Alumacraft Super Bandit with a 1987 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke. I am currently in the process of a complete restore. I have been deployed for the last year so I have just been ordering parts and goodies. Finally back at it. This has been a long process but finally starting to look like something water worthy again. Hope to share some pics (is there a post limit in order to post pics?) and seek some of the knowledge here along the way.

My oldest son and his family live in Missoula. When I visited last summer we spent some time on Flathead Lake in a rented pontoon. It is beautiful country (except for me not the winters so much, haha).

Last edited:

Latest posts