Old Aluminum Airstream Campers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
Random question and probably not totally relevant for this subforum (delete or move if needed)....but has anyone on here ever worked on an old Airstream camper? In a way, seems like it may have some similarities to the aluminum boat restoration world. I was just curious if anyone here has restored one and if so could share some pics. BTW, I'm not asking to get any personal ideas as I don't ever plan to try it- just general curiosity.

Many years ago I helped a guy take out the trashed interior of a very small very old Airstream.

Sure haven't, would love to. Knee deep in a PWC restoration. Big thing for me is that a camper takes up a lot of shop space.

I agree that there are probably some similarities with construction and materials.

Haven’t worked on an airstream, have worked on a 2018 keystone bullet. Build “quality”, is not in their vocabulary. Which, was one of the reasons we sold it.
Did browse the airstream forum, saw similar issues with them as well.
Just like boats, manufacturers trying to save money, which costs the customers in the future.
- Not using treated wood, or at least making an attempt to “treat” the wood.
- Using wood, when aluminum would have solved the issue, or prevented it all together.
-Construction techniques that cause you more work down the road, but make it easier on the manufacturer. Ie, most travel trailers, when built, the floor is first. Wood on the frame, vinyl wrapped on the wood floor, walls attached to the floor/frame. A quick process. However, when you have a problem with the wood floor, and you will, you do not have access to that part of the floor, without removing the wall.

Our travel trailer, new at the time, had a leak coming out of the shower faucet bezel. When I opened it up, I found they had driven one of the bezel screws right through the Pex tubing. Made me wonder about the free dealer "inspection" that was talked up so much as part of the deal. They clearly didn't do much.

Latest posts