1956 Alumacraft FD with 1966 Evinrude 33 Skitwin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua27

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 1956 Alumacraft FD with a 1966 Evinrude 33 Skitwin. The motor is equipped with electric start and the optional generator. The boat itself has been decked with plywood, has fishing seats and also a couple of trolling motors. Also came with the trailer. I got a pretty decent deal on the boat. I traded a pistol for it actually. Only things I've had to do to it so far was clean up the points and put a battery on it. Overall the motor runs great but it definitely needs the carb cleaned soon. Slow idle bogs it down. Gotta tune the carb as well.

Anyway, the reason I got the boat was so that me and my wife could fish out of it from time to time and also for me, the wife and the kids to all be able to cruise around on the river on nice days. My kids are 3 and 5 so with the current seating arrangement (all it has is the one bench in the rear) it's not really working out like I envisioned. Also the boat is currently pretty uncomfortable to sit in when I'm just out cruising. I'm a big guy 6'2" and about 265lbs so you can imagine.

Here are my questions:

1.) Is there a better way I could arrange the deck, seats, uncover another bench from under the deck, etc. that would make the boat more comfortable for me and my family?
2.) The boat planes out nicely at 3/4 throttle and above but slaps the river hard when going against the current, is there a way to alleviate that?
3.) Should I restore the aluminum or paint the boat, i.e. what would require the least maintenance and look the best?
4.) With my big butt and the big 33, the rear end of the boat is obviously pretty heavy. Should I ditch the 33 and get a smaller motor? The boat itself is rated for a 30 horse motor.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you guys can give me.

Attachments

• IMG_5998.JPG
    IMG_5998.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_5999.JPG
    IMG_5999.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_6001.JPG
    IMG_6001.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_6002.JPG
    IMG_6002.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_6003.JPG
    IMG_6003.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_6004.JPG
    IMG_6004.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 854
:WELCOME: aboard!

I hope you find this site as interesting and helpful as I. Everyone on here is helpful and eager to share their information.

Nice Rig! Good, sturdy boat and awesome motor! Gotta hand it to you......putting your wife and kids first. =D>

I know what it is like having young ones in a boat. "Sit down, be still, hold on!" Enjoy it while you can, they grow up way too fast.

Ok.....what's under that front deck? You are going to have to figure out how to distribute some weight to the front, and still be safe with someone riding in the front. Don't ditch the motor! She's a good one and perfect for that boat. (check the fuel line to see if this ole ethinol gas has it clogged up before you do anything else).

Is is possible to make a "step-down" in that front deck and use it for a riding seat? 13"w is all you need for a good size seat. How wide is it at the deck? If you make a seat there, can your wife and kiddos ride there while under power? (depends on the width if she and the kiddos can sit down side by side, comfortably).

I'm brain storming, and I know you will surely get others replies. It is awesome to see a young family enjoying the water! :D

M
Tyler, Texas

Ditch the idea of a step down....that deck is too far to the back to do that.
I've, very quickly, and not to scale, sketched you a diagram of something that might work for you. :idea:
A Rumble Seat! :D The kids would love it, it would keep them inside the boat and it would look way too cool. 8)

Not much $ and not much effort to do it. Just a thought.......
It would also give you access to storage up in the bow. Kind of like a rod box, if you will, only it's a seat to ride in when it's open and a deck to fish off of when it's closed. :wink:
It would distribute some weight up front for you, which is what your ultimate goal its, right?

M
Tyler, Texas
deck on tinboat.JPGRumble Seat.jpg

*Leg Room:
Measure your wife's leg , while seated, from her hip to her knee. You will need that measurement for the leg room. Depending on her height, it will be somewhere between 20" and 24". That would give you an idea of how much deck needs to be cut.

Again....just a thought.
I'm still thinking on it. Perhaps someone else has an even better idea to help you.

M
Tyler, Texas

That's a great idea Tyler. Thank you. I would have never thought. It doesn't look like their is much under the deck. It appears to be usin the original seats as the bracing to hold the deck up. I will open up the storage hatch and take some pics when I get home

I'm glad you liked the idea. :D

I am not by any means an Engineer or Architect, but I do have a concept of drawings and sketches. I apologize again for such a messy sketch (that's not my nature). I was in a hurry. :?

While you're under there, measure the width of the seat and the depth from the deck to the bottom of the boat, as well as the distance between the two fishing pedestals.

Also, see what other kind of existing framing there is in that area of the seat. I bet there is a 2x4 running horizontal in the center for support. ???

Let us know what you find.

M
Tyler, Texas

Latest posts