1956 Lone Star Clipper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasLoneStar56

Reaction score
Guys, I could really use some good strong advise, please. I've read many, many post on here, and enjoy them all.

We have an old 1956 Lone Star Clipper, on the original trailer, with a Kiekhaefer Mercury Mark 55E. We've had it for years, just never did anything with it. Well, I pulled it out, cleaned it up, including getting rotten wood out of the transom. I have researched for weeks trying to find another one with the original colors, to no avail. All I can find is a brochure with greens. Apparently, this boat was only made in 1956 and is a rare model. Who knew?!? We sure didn't!
(Oh, just so you know, the motor has been stored in our barn for 20+ years. It still has all the parts, but haven't tackled that yet.)

Any and All input of any knowledge of this boat is much appreciated and welcomed! Original paint scheme? Was there a wooden floor in it? Where was the battery stored?
Thanks!
Keith
Texas

That's just...just...perfect!

I hope you can bring it back, and post pictures as you do so. The craft is like a time machine, when runabouts were every kid's dream. :)

Best of luck.

Kismet
You are so right! She's a few years older than I am, but I do remember seeing Ski boats, runabouts, and thinking, "man, if I could just have one of those it would be so cool".

Worked all day in the hot Texas sun striping her down. Almost ready to go back with a new transom. After looking at it, I guess I'll have to drill out one side of the rivets to place the boards in, then go back with rivets. :?
Any other ideas?

Keith
Texas

Just my opinion, but you're not restoring the boat for classic boat competitions, use what makes the most sense to you. Shouldn't be a lot of rivets, you might consider stainless steel screws, washers and nuts instead for the transom. Little dab of 5200 and you move on to the next item.

Whatever you do, I wanna see. :)

Sweet. I often search Google images for "vintage runabouts" or "60's runabouts" or "aluminum runabouts" for inspiration. There are many sites out there devoted to these beautiful boats. I also look at C'sL every day to see what's for sale and to see what the boats look like. The vintage outboard sites like smalloutboards.com. often show their motors mounted to vintage boats. There are many clubs devoted to restoration of vintage boats who have meetings, swap-meets, etc. and post images from them on the internet. Search, search, search. It's out there somewhere.

I have taken the approach Kismet suggests on my '60's Sportsman. I contacted the company who made the boat who sent me a PDF of the original sales brochure. I knew from the start I could never restore my boat because it was made by a small local company, not one of the big name makers. I knew parts would be unavailable for restoration so I decided to remake mine in the "spirit" of the era.

Your boat is a really nice one. I hope you have good luck with the project and please post lots of picks.

Great advise bobber, thanks! I search almost daily myself, looking, looking, looking. CL, ebay, google, you name it. This forum is the best for getting "real" people to give you their knowledge. Thank you for the leads for more research. Much appreciated! =D>

Keith
Texas

RS
Thanks for your post. I will post more pics this evening. Full day ahead getting ready for the weekend. Living on the lake is great, but it is perpetual care. Especially 4th of July! Lots of family & friends. But, I will post pics later on.
Keith
Texas

TexasLoneStar56; All,

Fyi, the CLIPPER was also built in 1957, though the dual-cockpit hull was evidently NOT "catalogued". = That was my very first powerboat, given to me by my dad for my 12th birthday in 1958.
(It was a year-old "leftover" with a 1957 Johnson Javelin, bought at Marvin Manjos' Marine Sales in Daingerfield, TX. - That light hull will "scoot" with 35HP!)

WISHING that I still had it but alas it was stolen from our farm when I was OCONUS with the Army in 1970.
(YEP, I'm still looking for the boat on NE Texas lakes. = It was seen by a school chum about 10 years ago on Lake of the Pines.)

Note to All: In that era, steering wheels & motor controls were on the port side for OMC outboards & on the starboard side for Mercury & Scott outboards, to "correct for torque".

The Lone Star CLIPPER was also built as an open fisherman until mid-1960. - My Clipper was built in 1959 & sold new in the Spring of 1960.
(I plan to power it with a 1958 Johnson FDE-12.)

yours, satx

satx,

Wow! Thanks for the info! So yours was a 1957? The only old brochure I could find was for the 1956. The glassics site has a list of the blue book. It only shows the Clipper in 1956 as well. Nice to know somebody remembers! We are very interested in the history of it and appreciate your input!

My uncle gave it to us 20+ years ago. At the time, we had a new ski boat, a barge, a jet ski and 2 flat bottoms, so we just parked the Lone Star out back. Now that our kids are grown and gone, we sold the ski boat and jet ski. Focusing on the Ole Girl now.

We never go the Lake of the Pines, but we will keep an eye out for your boat. As rare as they are, it would catch our eye to see another Clipper. It would be a really great treat to find her for you! :D

Can you tell me where the battery was stored? Also, there are brackets under the bow. Was there a shelf there? Any of your wisdom and knowledge is much appreciated.

Thanks again!
Keith
Texas

satx,

Sir, thank you for your service. My uncle was Navy in Vietnam, and my Dad was Navy in Korea. It's because of you guys that we are able to celebrate this weekend. THANK YOU, SIR, THANK YOU!

Keith
Texas

TexasLoneStar56,

Fyi, my '57 Clipper was still painted white with black deck, side "ridge" & bottom, when my school chum saw it on Lake of the Pines. Further, it still had the about 3" long dent (I backed it into a post.) on the port side corner, about 6" up from the waterline.
(Thieves are usually too LAZY to successfully hide their "ill-gotten goods". - That's why so many get caught sooner or later.)

Another way to identify my old Clipper is the "homebrew battery shelf", under the forward deck, that my dad made from heavy-gauge aluminum sheet, when he worked at Lone Star Steel Company, to hold a pair of BIG "golf cart" batteries.
(IF you are planning to mount a battery/batteries "forward", as we did, you will need something like copper welding cable for battery leads. = Otherwise you won't have sufficient "juice" to start your outboard.)

ImVho, you have a "treasure" and a rather rare boat. - If it was mine, I would want to restore it to "as new" & power it with a 30HP electric-start 1956 Johnson FDE-18.
(The FDE-18 is NOT difficult to find, CHEAP to buy, EASY to work on yourself and truly "over-engineered". - In over a half-century, I've never seen one that was "worn-out in service".)

Note: If you haven't discovered the book yet, I would get a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING AND OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER by Max Wawrzyniak from the public library or buy a copy. - With that book, a handful of simple tools, some relatively inexpensive parts and a little "want to", you can fix most anything that needs fixing on those OMC outboards for about 100.oo.
(NO, I don't sell books but I'm one of Max's multitude of "cheapskate fans".)

just my opinion, satx

satx,

Can't thank you enough for your knowledge. We do have the original old Kiekhaefer Mercury Mark 55E. It has been stored in our barn all these years. I haven't tackled that yet, but will. I've researched for parts and can still get parts for it. Also, I've had a few "old timers" tell us that we will have to mix gas for it. Can't buy ethyl or regular anymore. What's your take on that? We have an old Johnson 6 hp that we use on a flat bottom. I totally agree with you on the Johnson.

Thank you for the description of your '57. I passed the word yesterday to several people. We see a lot of boats, but knowing yours is still in East Texas gives us an even more drive to help you find her. I will pass on your description of her as well. Our son-in-law fishes every lake in East Texas. I'll give him the description today. Helping others is a blessing to us! [-o<

Thank you for the battery info. The leads make sense.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Keith

TexasLoneStar56,

Fwiw, I'm NOT rich enough to buy the tools to work on Mercury outboards (they need a LOT of "special", read: EXPENSIVE tools.) NOR am I a "mechanic". - Instead, I'm a "tinkerer", who "messes about with" Johnnyrudes.

You may want to go look at: https://www.pure-gas.org for ethanol-free gasoline to mix with your 2-cycle oil.

THANKS for your help in helping me HOPFULLY finding my "childhood" boat/motor/trailer.

yours, satx

TexasLoneStar56,

By the way: It's been my experience that Mercury outboards do better on MID-level gas, where OMC motors run/idle FINE on regular gas.

yours, satx

Have spent the past few days tackling the paint striping. Reminds of that old movie Karate Kid, "wax on, wax off". This is going to take awhile. grrrr :?
Oh well.....she's looking a little better with each day of hard work.
Keith
Texas