1956 Lone Star Clipper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SATX,
I'm keeping on. Work on her a bit every day. I will see about posting a few pics later on today. Sorry I have been tardy at that.
Thank you for the "nudge" to keep on going. I needed to hear that.
Thanks a mil!
Keith

TexasLoneStar56,

You can VERY likely start "encouraging me", inasmuch as I'm picking up a early-1960s 16FT tinny on a trailer tomorrow, that's been "sitting out in the brush" at a ranch near Goliad for more than 12 years, for a HUNDRED BUCKS total. - The TX registration expired in 2006.

Both the boat & trailer will need EVERYTHING renewed, starting with the trailer, which badly needs sandblasting, re-priming, repainting and ALL of the bunks & rollers repaired/replaced.
(If it wasn't a vintage trailer with the title, I wouldn't be bothered as it's "a real mess".)

yours, satx

Kismet; TexasLoneStar56,

WOW!!!! = About an hour ago I found a 1962 SEAKING 40HP with factory electric start and a TILLER (talk about a "rare bird"!) - It's a GG18744B , all in one piece, looks complete and CHEAP too.
The lady that I talked to by phone said that her husband was running it last AUG & he now is "so crippled up with arthritis that I can't fish".

yours, satx

satx,
So? Did you get the 16 footer? What about the motor? Let us see some pics. 8)

kismet,
Oh yes! Sanding, sanding, sanding. Fun, fun, fun! :shock:

Guys,
I think I should tell you my last name is Keith. I didn't think you guys would talk to me if you knew I was a lady. I take every piece of advise and use it wisely, and appreciate every bit of it. My husband of 34 years tells me the old Lone Star is a money pit. Maybe....but I'm working on her anyway, all by myself. Well, with a little help from my friends, on here.
Thank You! =D>

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=359323#p359323 said:
Kismet » 12 Jul 2014, 19:37[/url]"]This is gonna be fun.

I meant fun for me. :mrgreen:

You folks will get satisfaction, which is often associated with, but not the same as, fun.

=D>

kismet,
LOL! :LOL2: The satisfaction of knowing I can do it myself, while sanding my fingernails off, and eventually putting her on the lake is worth the blood, sweat and tears. You, sir, are going to get many, many laughs! Especially when I throw questions at you.

Posting a pic I took today. Lots of green dust and a lot more sanding to do. I'm not sure if it's being over 50 or just out of shape, but my shoulders and hands are sure sore. "Hello IcyHot"! :wink:
Thanks a mil!
Keith
Texas

TexasLoneStar56,

Well here's "the deal" on the 16 footer. - It's NOT AT ALL what the owner said that the situation the boat/trailer is (and it may not even be his property) but that's part of this hobby.
(I would guess that he thinks that I'm stupid OR possibly that he is.)

I still don't have the Sea King outboard, as the owner is out of state, taking care of sick family. = She said that she'll be back in a week or so & I can pick it up then.
(The only good thing about this situation is that nobody else can get into where the OB is and I don't have to store the motor for a while, until I can get around to starting on the restoration.)

Personally, I'm pleased that you're on the forum and IN this hobby, as we have WAY too few ladies doing restorations (at least in my OPINION).
Also, your husband is 100% CORRECT that these old boats are "money pits" BUT I don't do this for the $$$$$$$$$. - IF money is a person's primary motive, they should do something else "to make money", as there is LITTLE financial return.

Also, you might look around among your GF, as you may well find a person or 2 that would enjoy helping you in the restoration. = On occasion, I've had more "volunteer help" than I could actually use.
(I did my first remodeling of an old 16 foot Crestliner ski boat about 20 years ago for the cost of refinishing materials & a LOT of pizza & cold drinks. - It turned out BEAUTIFUL.)

yours, satx

satx,

Yes, sir! It is what it is.....a lot of hard work, but worth it to me. My other half has had his share of working on aluminum, as well as other materials. His career is major wreck body tech on semi trucks, trailers, motor homes, etc... Hey, at least I have good tools to work with (that is, as long as I ask to get in his box, tehehe) He has helped me some, with body work, but doesn't want any part of the sanding. I have a lot of my own tools as well. I've always been intrigued with wood working, as my late dad taught me that. This is just the first time I've jumped with both feet into a project that I had very little knowledge about. HELLO! #-o

Sorry you are having trouble with transactions. I see on CL every day boats and motors for sale, "no title, bill of sale only". I agree with you! Do they think I am stupid, or are they?!? I am an accountant, therefore, I am ill with perfectionism about numbers and paperwork being right. Good grief Charlie Brown! :shock:

I finished sanding the right side this morning. Still have a bit to do on the left and back. Who would have thought we would be 67 degrees in Texas on July 18th?!!! WOW! Where is our 95 at? Washing her down was bit chilly. More to do tomorrow, then I will post more pics.

Toodles~~
Keith
Texas

TexasLoneStar56,

Sounds like that you're "getting on". - Pretty soon (IF you're at all like me) you'll be looking for another rig to restore, as sawdust & paint get in your blood.
(I'm NOT an oldboataholic! I'm NOT. I'm NOT.)

Btw, I "got a line on" a 1950s Crestliner runabout-utility, on a period trailer with a 35 Johnny, in suburban Austin.

yours, satx

satx,

I'm not either! :---)
Goodness sakes! The more I sand, the more I just love her. Told my husband today, "honey, please don't sell her.....I want her". His reply, "keep on sanding honey".

Keep me posted about the boat! Have been in touch with a fellow in WI about one he has on ebay. Selling for parts. I think it's a LS Malibu, but not sure. He sent me the hull #'s, but I can't figure out. I told him he might consider parting it out. Guess we'll see. He has a windshield! WOW!

More pics tomorrow. BTW....yeppers! Have sanded my finger nails off. Oh well, they will grow back!

Toodles.....
Keith
Texas

TexasLoneStar56,

I cannot send you a PM for some reason or another & thus cannot send you info on who can likely identify the LS Malibu.

PM me & I'll tell you.

Reference "fingernails": YEP they'll grow back. - Fyi, my "favorite Tomboy" seldom has pretty nails but I don't care. = She says that you cannot BE an "outdoors-woman" & be glamorous, too.

yours, satx

satx,

You can PM now. It was off. (sorry). :oops:

Update on the '56:

I have sanded the top and the top half, twice. First with 200 grit, then to 360 grit. Going on to the wet sand of 400 grit, by hand with a block. My goodness she has some deep "gouges". I am so ready to just put her in the water! I think we might just do that today. She doesn't even have her transom back in, but we can manage with paddles. I just want to see her in the water.

I am not looking forward to sanding on the inside. But, it has to be done. One day at a time.

Got her new bow board in yesterday. My husband cut oak to fit; I stained it and installed it. However, I must climb in under the bow today to tighten the eye bolt. Also, cleaned all the cleats, etc... Low and behold, the navigational light still works! :shock:

I think I want to polish her for now. Maybe paint later on, as $$$ allows. She is looking better and better as each day goes by. Any ideas on what kind of paint to use on the old steering wheel?

Thanks!
Keith

I would like to thank every one of you that replied to this post. You have given me good , solid advice and I truly appreciate it.

As of today, I will no longer be posting to this subject. I will continue to read and enjoy your posts, and take all the wisdom & knowledge you all have given me and continue to use it to the best of my ability.

Perhaps I will post pics on a new thread, later on.

Thank you again!
Keith
Texas

I'd sure like it if you continued to post your progress and (maybe) some images of the work you've done on your watercraft.

It has been a lot of fun to hear about the bonding of you and your boat.

=D> =D> =D>