1965 Evinrude 9.5 New Member

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to the lake tonight. Tuned to air/fuel jet at WOT and it tuned up well. I think its running as good as it going to. I did find one thing odd... I had to throttle up slowly or the prop acts like its slipping. When I was backing down the boat ramp the prop hit due to the angle I was on. Any one have an idea why it might slip like that. Thanx in advance. Coach

The prop on that motor has a shear pin in it. If you take the black cone shaped nut off the prop shaft, then pull the prop straight off the shaft. You will see a small metal pin through the prop shaft. If it is broken, it is easily replaced and is supposed to break if the prop binds on something - saving the gears from damage. The other option as you mentioned is the possibility of a spent hub. If the hub is bad, you can purchase a new prop or if you can find a good prop shop, you may be able to have the hub replaced.

Thanx for the info Country, I held the flywheel and tried to turn the prop and it would turn so I think I need to find a prop shop. Im in the Tulsa area so there should be something fairly close. If not Ill try to buy one. When I took it out last Fri it ran out really well but I need to look at how I have it set up. I have the trolling motor and battery in the back with me and the boys up front and it just plows and never plains out. Im going to move the TM and battery back up front and maybe move the gas tank to the middle. I already tilted the motor slighty to help with the angle it sets. I think it will take a little tinkering and Ill find the right combo. Should I expect it to plane up? Im 245 and the boys are about 85-90 pounds, the boat is 14 footer. thanx for the help. coach

I took her out this morning for the first extended run and she pushes my 12x36 flat bottom at about 18mph. I still need to play with the tilt adjustment and weight placement in the boat for fine tuning. I have the motor jacked up about 3 inches off the top of the transom to reduce drag from the leg in the water. The cavitation plate is just a hair below the flat bottom of the boat.
With the setup you describe I am not sure about how easy your boat will get up on step. I have seen videos on the net of this motor pushing a 14' well, but it will also depend on total weight of boat and the design of the hull. Get a new prop (of get yours rehubbed), and play with the weight distribution a little. Let us know how it runs.
GetAttachment[1].jpg

Ill be getting it out soon. How do you post a Pic? I have some on my phone but couldnt figure out how to post from it.
My plan is on our next trip to adjust the weight some. I may need to set the motor a little higher also. thanx again. Coach

Today was the best day Ive had with my boat. BIG thank you to all the great people that helped me get to this point. Took the boys out for some fishing today and we clocked it at, a scorching 14.3MPH, in fairly rough water. I bought a prop off ebay and raised the motor 1/2 inich to help with the drag. Motor is running great after the carb kit and tuning. We didnt catch a fish but was so nice not fighting our boat all day. I know Ill have more things come up in the future but for now I couldnt be happier. If I can ever help any of you please let me know. Coach Ed

Latest posts