1966 Envinrude Sportwin, a couple questions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Guys,

I am interested in buying a 1966 Envinrude Sportwin. IT has good compression, and the guy says it worked 10 years ago before he winterized it and Defogged(?) it. My brother says it looks good, but is skeptical about parts availability in the event of a breakdown, parts, etc. Is he right? It looks in good shape, and I like the way it looks, but the guy wants $350, is that a good deal? I offered 300, and said if the person tomorrow doesn't buy it for 350 he'll call me back.

What are your thoughts on this engine? Has anyone had one? Can I get parts? If so, where?

Thanks.

Those 9.5s are odd little motors. In the attempt to make it low profile, and fisherman friendly, they crammed the powerhead down into the midsection, which makes it tight to work on at times (not to mention making them one of the ugliest motors in existence). They are just as reliable as any Johnson/Evinrude from that time (of which sets the stage for reliability) and parts are fairly readily available. I personally don't like them, but that has nothing to do with bad design or anything, just personal preference. I think that is a bit high of a price for one of those. I would have no issue paying that much for an early 70s 9.9 (came right after the 9.5s ended, which was '72 or '73), but doubt I would go much above 200 for a 9.5 in running condition.

bassboy1 said:
Those 9.5s are odd little motors. In the attempt to make it low profile, and fisherman friendly, they crammed the powerhead down into the midsection, which makes it tight to work on at times (not to mention making them one of the ugliest motors in existence). They are just as reliable as any Johnson/Evinrude from that time (of which sets the stage for reliability) and parts are fairly readily available. I personally don't like them, but that has nothing to do with bad design or anything, just personal preference. I think that is a bit high of a price for one of those. I would have no issue paying that much for an early 70s 9.9 (came right after the 9.5s ended, which was '72 or '73), but doubt I would go much above 200 for a 9.5 in running condition.

Ok, this helps a lot, thank you. I think I will pass on this one - and just keep looking for another, newer one.

Hey guys - I wound up getting the Sportwin for $250. I just need to get a fuel line. Any recommendations on where and what size I need, etc?

shizzy77 said:
should be available anywhere. you may need to get the OMC ends for it though.

Scratch that - I just cant get over not knowing the if the motor works and having to spend money on the fuel line and ends and maybe having a crap motor. Back to the Yamaha for now, haha.

Ya'see I'm trying my best to help you out, but you don't even tell the truth about whats going on!!!!! In one forum you want me to help you find a motor, (because you missed the deal) and now you're back on another forum joking about spending money on the "CRAP MOTOR" you just bought!!!!! I'm done with YOU'RE B.S. (not bashing, just facts). Scott

rome8899 said:
Ya'see I'm trying my best to help you out, but you don't even tell the truth about whats going on!!!!! In one forum you want me to help you find a motor, (because you missed the deal) and now you're back on another forum joking about spending money on the "CRAP MOTOR" you just bought!!!!! I'm done with YOU'RE B.S. (not bashing, just facts). Scott

Totally not BSing trust me, Scott. I have very little money, I was just joking in the sense that I am wavering back and forth. I apologize if I gave you the impression that I am being less than 100% honest. I am glad you gave it to someone who could use it, no hard feelings at all. Thanks again for the offer, it was extremely nice of you.

shizzy77 said:
should be available anywhere. you may need to get the OMC ends for it though.

Do you know where I can get the parts for that? How would I know? So new to this, trying to get a good deal but don't know what to do. I'm frustrated but trying to learn on the fly.

Should be able to get the fuel line, and the J/E ends for it at Wallyworld, or Kmart, if they have a boating section. If not, just about any marina, or boat dealer, or outboard service center, whether or not they sell/repair Evinrudes, should have that.

I am not real sure whats going on here. Like the rest of us, you don't much cash to spend on a motor, which is understandable. But then, you go buy one, then ask about a freebie, then change your mind on the one you bought, and mention buying another, without even buying something so simple as a fuel line to see if it works. Seems if I bought something for 250, and wasn't looking for a project motor, that I would want to make sure it worked.

bassboy1 said:
Should be able to get the fuel line, and the J/E ends for it at Wallyworld, or Kmart, if they have a boating section. If not, just about any marina, or boat dealer, or outboard service center, whether or not they sell/repair Evinrudes, should have that.

I am not real sure whats going on here. Like the rest of us, you don't much cash to spend on a motor, which is understandable. But then, you go buy one, then ask about a freebie, then change your mind on the one you bought, and mention buying another, without even buying something so simple as a fuel line to see if it works. Seems if I bought something for 250, and wasn't looking for a project motor, that I would want to make sure it worked.

I know I look like a moron, but I jumped the gun when I said I bought the motor for $250. I got excited the guy bit for $250, but then kinda realized I better make sure this thing works before I put money down on something I have no idea how to fix (which is what I am doing tomorrow)! So, I apologize for the confusion - but if I am guilty of doing anything wrong it's being stupid and indecisive. I hope you guys won't hold it against me, as I have a lot to learn and as a young guy, I hope to contribute and eventually pass down any knowledge gained to others like me who are new and excited. And thank you for the information, just what I was looking for.

do you already have a hose and tank for the yamaha? I think you mentioned another motor in your possetion. if thats the case, you should be able to switch the connector on the fule line at the engine side.

shizzy77 said:
do you already have a hose and tank for the yamaha? I think you mentioned another motor in your possetion. if thats the case, you should be able to switch the connector on the fule line at the engine side.

No, unfortunately, I don't. I am debating between the 2. I am getting the hose and whatnot today and seeing if this 66 Evinrude works. If it does, I'll likely take it. Thanks, though.

I bought the fuel line - it started up but I didn't like the sound of something (no idea what it was - just didn't want to take a chance on it being a big problem). I decided to officially pass on the Sportwin. That chapter is finally closed!

ober51, I'm not the a$$ you think I am, I would really like to find you a motor! If you would just settle down a bit my young friend. I have a 9.9 Tohatsu, with a broken transom mount. From the research I've done, One can buy a complete motor cheaper than repairing the mount.(aprox. $600). If you can get through the weekend without buying something that came off Noah's Ark, I'll try my best to accomidate,(that means HELP to you fellars up north). LOL, PLEASE settle down and take you're time on these decisions. I know the weather is warming and everyone's raring to go, but from what you've said money is tight, so please be very prudent, (THAT MEANS USE GOOD JUDGEMENT, TO YANKS), and I'll try my very best to help you out!!! Scott ( Boy I know I'm going to hear it now!!)

Latest posts