1973 Johnson 20hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
I've got my eye on a boat that comes with this motor. It runs well, and was just tuned up. It would be pushing around a Starcraft 14' from 1957. My question is, how well will it push the boat? Any other concerns with the age?

it should push it just fine... I've got a 1970 Johnson 20hp and it pushes my 1546 quite well.

the only thing I had to do to my motor was change the prop and man did it make a difference

bandgeek1263 said:
I've got my eye on a boat that comes with this motor. It runs well, and was just tuned up. It would be pushing around a Starcraft 14' from 1957. My question is, how well will it push the boat? Any other concerns with the age?

Should plane your boat nicely and get you where your going in plenty of time. Check out this post for good information on your motor.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12940

As I always suggest, get a service manual for your motor and you will have it running for a long time if you maintain it well. Most of the time outboards fail due to poor owner maintenance and care. Motors built in the in the 60 and 70's were well built and easy to work on. I started working on my own motors a year ago and have learned alot and have save alot of money on maintenance and repairs.

Make sure you take that boat on the lake and test it yourself before buying it.

Enjoy your boat and motor if you purchase it.

cajuncook1

russ010 said:
the only thing I had to do to my motor was change the prop and man did it make a difference

Where'd you get your prop? and what kind did you get?

Thanks for the info guys. That link above was extremely informative.

The guy who I let tune my motor up ordered the prop.. I think it was close to $100.

Honestly I don't remember anything about the pitch or anything