1975 ouachita capacity plates

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian121804

Reaction score
Just purchased a 1975 ouachita according to hin for $500 last night. It is a flat bottom I believe is 16'6" with a 25hp Johnson. Needs a transom otherwise good shape. Although has no coast guard capacity plates on it anywhere. Anyone know where I can get one?

Once you research what the capacities should be, there are a couple of custom capacity plate manufacturers you can contact to get the plate made (I'm sure there are more).

Here's some links:

https://www.garzonstudio.com/boat/capacity-decal.html
https://www.outboarddecals.com/index.php?cPath=78_79

Also, if you're using the boat before you find out the capacities, here's a rule-of-thumb to use to figure out the capacity. This is from a PA Boater's Safety Course:

Calculating Your Boat’s Capacity

On boats less than 20 feet in length with no capacity plate, use the following rule of thumb to calculate the number of persons (weighing 150 lbs. each, on average) the vessel can carry safely in good weather conditions.

Number of people = vessel length (ft.) x vessel width (ft.) ÷ 15

For example, for a vessel 18 feet long by 6 feet wide, the number of persons is 18 times 6 (or 108) divided by 15, which equals seven 150-lb. persons (or a total person weight of 7 x 150, or 1050 lbs.).

Thanks but I've .been researching and not coming up with much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have one with a plate
Ouachita 14-SDW (1448 with 15 inch transom)
Max Horsepower : 25hp rated
(Two capacities listed but hard to read the writing)
600# (…max persons capacity …)
800# (max weight capacity …persons, motor, &gear capacity…)

Also there is a sticker on the inside that reads as follows:
“ model 14-SDW
Compliance with certain state laws requires capacity under normal conditions not to exceed 3.9 persons at 150 pounds per person or the maximum persons capacity in pounds listed on the boats capacity information plate”

*disclaimer as stated above hard to read the plate so cannot be certain on all terms and weight numbers*

Latest posts