1976 35hp Johnson??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

authentic

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this motor? The guy said he had it out, running last fall. Said he had a friend's dad (have no idea what makes him qualified) take a look at it, and he said it could use a water pump and carb kit. Water pump has been replaced, but nothing done to the carb. The cowling looks pretty tired, but I don't know that it necessarily means anything. It seems like a good price, if it's a good motor. Everything around here, on Craigslist, seems really expensive, compared to that. What kind of questions should I be asking? It would run my 16' Lund that's missing an outboard, really nicely.

https://omaha.craigslist.org/boa/1658443544.html

Do a compression check. Your looking for 100psi or higher and both cylinders within 10% of each other.

Man that thing looks rough. That would be a $150 parts motor around here.
If he got it running I wouldn't offer him anymore then $300 (that's only because outboards are priced high in your area).
You could part it out on ebay if you had to and make your money back.

If your desperate and want to take a chance without hearing it run then check the compression as stated before. Squirt some wd-40 in the plug holes before pulling and leave both plugs out. If the compression checks out then make sure it has good spark on both cylinders. Squirt a little fuel mix in the plug holes and see if it wants to run. If he can't get it to turn over by the starter then I wouldn't mess with it.

Drain the lower unit fluid and inspect it for metal. Make sure the prop spins in neutral and locks in forward and reverse. I would also turn the prop while it was in gear and made sure it turned the powerhead without slipping.
Check for salt water corrosion and rusty bolts. Even though it looks bad it still should look ok under the cowl. If it looks monkeyed around with or just plain bad it's probably been neglected and abused and you should pass on it.

Talked to the guy, and apparently, it runs great. I got confused about which craigslist ad I was looking at. He's got it hooked up, so I can hear it run. It also would come with a brand new 12 gallon tank.

However, I found a 25hp for $300, that looks better, and the $250 difference sure allows for a lot of other toys.

authentic said:
Talked to the guy, and apparently, it runs great. I got confused about which craigslist ad I was looking at. He's got it hooked up, so I can hear it run. It also would come with a brand new 12 gallon tank.

However, I found a 25hp for $300, that looks better, and the $250 difference sure allows for a lot of other toys.

That's a nice looking Lund you got there. I agree, run away from that 35hp motor. It's had a hard life. What year is the 25hp? I have an '81 j25 and it runs great.

The guy wasn't sure. what year the 25 was, off hand. It came on a boat that he got in trade from someone for some work he did. I'm sure he could find out.