1977 Johnson 15 HP 15RL77M

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggernoob

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I picked up what was advertised as a 1980 Johnson 9.9hp with a broken pull starter on Craigslist for $150, owner said it ran fine last year. I have a 78 Johnson 9.9hp that I figured could used some parts if it didn't work. Well it turns out to be a 1977 Johnson 15hp 15RL77M with what looks to have once had an electric starter? So far I've ordered all the parts for the pull start and that seems to be working, and replaced the broken air box. The positive cable from the kill switch, in the 2nd/3rd picture, was just hanging and the kill switch does not seem to work, I'm guessing this goes into the Power Pack? I foolishly tried pushing the cable in and started the motor then couldn't get the kill switch to kill the motor. Which brings me to what might be another issue. When the motor started it seemed to be stuck on Fast with the prop gear engaged. Turning the handle from Start to Shift of Slow doesn't seem to change the RPM of the motor. Linkage stuck? I'm going to pull of the lower unit to do the water pump. The other thing to note is that the motor wouldn't start until I sprayed Johnson Starting Fluid in the Air box. I want to fix the kill switch before I try starting it up again.

0vCCGq3.jpg

vo1bCol.jpg

W4QSd5M.jpg

v6mxxNw.jpg

Google - Leeroy's Ramblings. It seems to be the definitive work on Johnsons 9.9/15 2-stroke outboards. Take our time and read through everything.

Yeah, I have Leeroy's Ramblings bookmarked and have used it as reference, just seeing what info others might have.

Its too late in the school year, but some school districts have a marine power tech program where they train students to be marine mechanics. Its like how they offer automechanics, baking, welding, ect. They usually charge just for parts and not labor. For example: Last years winterized, tune-up, and replacing the water pump was $25. You can't beat it.