1977 Lowe Line 1636 Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315357#p315357 said:
BigTerp » Today, 10:10[/url]"]It's always something man!! Glad to see your getting back after it. I've been super busy lately and not able to get much done to mine. Finally getting back on the ball though. Looking forward to your progress.

Yeah, wife and I decided to throw a monkey wrench into the Tin Project by buying new house while market is good. So the Tin has been on hold until recently. I just need to get the dang thing in water to feel some accomplishment, and get in on the spring fishing, then Ill worry about decking and stuff! I am going the "Big Terp" route by using it a few times to really determine what I actually need and where.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315363#p315363 said:
panFried » Today, 1:08 pm[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315357#p315357 said:
BigTerp » Today, 10:10[/url]"]It's always something man!! Glad to see your getting back after it. I've been super busy lately and not able to get much done to mine. Finally getting back on the ball though. Looking forward to your progress.

Yeah, wife and I decided to throw a monkey wrench into the Tin Project by buying new house while market is good. So the Tin has been on hold until recently. I just need to get the dang thing in water to feel some accomplishment, and get in on the spring fishing, then Ill worry about decking and stuff! I am going the "Big Terp" route by using it a few times to really determine what I actually need and where.

HA!! Can't take credit for that one. I've seen it suggested hundredes of times on here before. Mine ended up being more out of neccessity. I got my transom work done in late September just in time for duck season. So instead of working on my boat, it got used..............ALOT. I feel like I know every inch of that boat now, which really helps when the build/mod's start. Good luck man!!

So working on the tin today and I can't find the materials I bought couple months ago! #%|€£!&$@

That's what I get for procrastinating!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317963#p317963 said:
panFried » June 8th, 2013, 6:24 pm[/url]"]So working on the tin today and I can't find the materials I bought couple months ago! #%|€£!&$@

That sucks!!! You just moved, right? I'm sure you'll find them somewhere. But if your like me you'll find them AFTER you buy new materials. What all do you have missing?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=307003#p307003 said:
jvanhees » 25 Mar 2013, 15:32[/url]"]had any fun with those rivets yet?

I'm almost there! Rivets tomorrow for sure. Here's where I'm at on the schedule, see Below...

Sorry Im so far behind on pictures! About 2 months ago I built a new transom, and prepped the boat by removing the rotten transom and removing support brackets. To do so I had to drill them out and fit the new transom.

Attachments

• Img_0593.jpg
    Img_0593.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Bracket_2.jpg
    Bracket_2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,548
Once I knew the transom was a fit, I placed 5 coats (maybe overkill) of Spar Varnish Exterior and let cure prior to installation (1 month is a little excessive, not by choice :) ).

Attachments

• Img_0887.jpg
    Img_0887.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Img_0885.jpg
    Img_0885.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,548
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317963#p317963 said:
panFried » 08 Jun 2013, 17:24[/url]"]So working on the tin today and I can't find the materials I bought couple months ago! #%|€£!&$@

GOOD NEWS! Now that I started working on the boat last few days, I was able to find my missing parts. :lol: and I bought a new female connector with metals fittings for the gas tank. Im thinking, the boy and I will be fishing from the boat this Father's Day! :roll:

Attachments

• Img_0884.jpg
    Img_0884.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,547
  • Img_0881.jpg
    Img_0881.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,547
This afternoon, I rough sanded my problem area in the Bow, and the transom/Stern of the boat. After which I cleaned with mild soap and water, dried, and wiped with Acetone. Once dried, I placed a coat of Professional grade, gray self-etching primer on the above mentioned areas. Once this dries, I will start installing the transom and Bow handle this evening.

Attachments

• Img_0939.jpg
    Img_0939.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,545
  • Img_0940.jpg
    Img_0940.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,545
  • Img_0937.jpg
    Img_0937.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,545
  • Img_0935.jpg
    Img_0935.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,545
  • Img_0934.jpg
    Img_0934.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,545
  • Img_0933.jpg
    Img_0933.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,545
So Im finishing up with primer on the Stern, and I find myself needing a little more primer. So I run to the store for another can of Rustoleum Self-Etching Primer, and what do you know, Lowe's decided to discontinue it. WHAT! So i was forced to buy another Rustoleum product, the Professional Aluminum Primer (7.29 vs 4.97) which only comes in white. Bummer #-o

Well at least the show can go on...

Attachments

• Img_0942.jpg
    Img_0942.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,538
weasel897 said:
Where did you purchase your rivets? I'm in need of some long ones as well. :)

Weasel
I purchased online from Jay-cee sales & rivet inc. Better known as www.rivetsonline.com. They were the cheapest and I purchased 2" solid aluminum brazier head 1100F rivets. Smallest pack is 100 at 7-8 bucks but order biggest size you need an cut the rest to size.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319282#p319282 said:
panFried » Yesterday, 5:55 pm[/url]"]Alright, just put in my order for 1 gallon of Parker Duck boat paint, dead grass.

Nice!! I got sand tan, and it's getting applied on Saturday........FINALLY \:D/

Be sure to open that box as soon as you get it. UPS likes to be rough on packages. I ordered 1 gallon and 1 quart. The quart can was fine, but the bottom of the gallon can was beat to hell and back. The metal on the bottom of the gallon can I guess had stressed so bad that it feels about as strong as a tin can now. No paint spilled and Parkers had it all packaged nicely, but I still emailed them just to let them know that UPS apparentley likes to play rugby with their packages. Hopefully they package yours even better.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319358#p319358 said:
BigTerp » Today, 08:39[/url]"]
Nice!! I got sand tan, and it's getting applied on Saturday........FINALLY \:D/

Be sure to open that box as soon as you get it. UPS likes to be rough on packages. I ordered 1 gallon and 1 quart. The quart can was fine, but the bottom of the gallon can was beat to hell and back. The metal on the bottom of the gallon can I guess had stressed so bad that it feels about as strong as a tin can now. No paint spilled and Parkers had it all packaged nicely, but I still emailed them just to let them know that UPS apparently likes to play rugby with their packages. Hopefully they package yours even better.
I had been researching all kinds of paints, and I never thought of putting "duck boat paint" in the Google search. Ordering direct from Parker vs. Cabela's definitely saves a few bucks, and I had good customer experience from sales guy. He answered a lot of my questions (prepping, dry times, and curing). So far so good. Thanks for the advice BigTerp!

I ended up going with Dead Grass since Im using primarily for fishing, and I thought it may conceal the dirt a little more, since I'm not camo stenciling. Thanks again... I'll be watching your progress!

I also was happy with their customer service, and it was definitely cheaper ordering direct. I've heard nothing but good things about this paint. I may be wrong, but since your not doing any sort of stenciling, I think a flat paint will hide dings and dents better than a gloss would. And Parkers duck boat paint is suppose to be a really tough, long lasting paint. Either way, a fresh coat of paint does wonders for these old tins!!

Good luck, looking forward to see how things turn out.

Oh yeah! UPS man just dropped off a gallon of duck boat paint. Ill be painting the hull in the next few days. :)

Latest posts