1978 14' Sears shallow V Capacity?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayfish

Reaction score
I have a 14' 1978 Sears Semi V with no capacity plate. I would like to know how big of a motor this thing will handle. It has a 15hp Evinrude now but evintually I would like to upgrade to something a little bigger (25hp) if possible. Does anybody have a boat like mine and can give me an idea of the capacity?

clayfish said:
I have a 14' 1978 Sears Semi V with no capacity plate. I would like to know how big of a motor this thing will handle. It has a 15hp Evinrude now but evintually I would like to upgrade to something a little bigger (25hp) if possible. Does anybody have a boat like mine and can give me an idea of the capacity?

Can you post a pic? Some of them have more support than others - I think Strykers is 15hp, and I think mine (now sold) was probably a bit heavier duty thanks to a bit of extra bracing.

P6020142.jpg

P6020139.jpg

P6020141.jpg

P6020140.jpg

I just checked the thickness of the aluminum with my calipers and it's .105" thick.

Looks pretty sturdy. I think with those three braces youre looking at a 20/25 HP rating. If you redo the transom, I would also ad wood all the way across on the inside and the outside. Would make it even better IMO. Solid looking boat.

I am bettign it would fly with a 25 on it.
Redo the transom like Ober51 reccomends first and if you do hang a 25 on it, be careful your first time out.

I have a late 60s Starcraft Seafarer (1448). I have a transom pretty similar to yours, except the aluminum supports actually bolt through the wood to the aluminum of the transom. Mine's rated for a 40. I'd guess that you would be fine with a 25.

Latest posts