1979 Polarkraft 1760 conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayre32

Reaction score
I finally started the rebuilding process on my polarkraft. I am hoping the process goes fairly quick, but we will see. Had the boat out on the water today and everything did great. The motor sounds awesome. Just got completely rebuilt so I can't really open it up too much. I got the boat all cleaned out and some things done today. Paint is in the near future. Sanding starts tomorrow.
Process:

Paint (red with white stripe and white on top lip)
Front and back deck (aluminum framing, 3/4" plywood decks)
Make center console a side console
Livewell under back deck (not sure whether I will go with a cooler or custom built)
Minnkota 80 lb thrust up front with Minnkota 3 bank charger

Current cost:

Boat/motor/trailer = $1000 (after complete motor rebuild)
Trolling motor 80 lb thrust = $250 (couple years old but never used)
hardware = $50
Aluminum = $200 (100ft of tubing)
Seats = $100 (2 seats for bench and 2 butt seats)
On board Charger = $180 ( 3 bank)
All paint / urethane / supplies = $100
+ misc. supplies

I am right at $2000 right now hopefully will come in right around $3000
I am keeping a running total spreadsheet that I will share when finished.

So far I have removed all electrical wires and got them out of the way. I also have removed the console. Next step is to cut out the back bench to add a spot for the livewell. I will also remove the two side benches beside the console. I will try to post a better pic of inside the boat in a minute.

Working on removing the console.

working on console.jpg

Here is the motor stand I built. Hopefully it will hold up.

motor stand.jpg

The two flotation boxes will come out and the foam placed elsewhere. Then I am planning on cutting the console down and moving it over.

Back of boat.jpg

Part of the rear bench will have to be cut out so the livewell will fit in. Hopefully the strength of the boat won't be hampered. There is stringers every 13" so I think it should be alright. Please feel free to add any ideas or remarks. My plan was to use a 120 qt. cooler with a flow-rite system 3. However, I will only be able to fit a cooler under 17" tall. The 120 is 19" so I will either have to find a shorter cooler or get a custom one built. Anybody have any experience with customlivewells.com?

Back of boat 2.jpg

Man that is a big boat. Sounds like you have a good plan for it. Boat should be really stable and it gives you a lot of options.

Thanks caveman, it is really stable. It was windy when I took it out and it handled pretty well. I think the added weight of the deck up front will make it sit in the water even better. Got some more work done today.
Side float boxes are out.
float box out.jpg

The rear bench is cut to fit the cooler for the livewell. I finally find one that would work. All the foam taken out will be placed elsewhere, and I am adding foam under the floor.
rear bench out.jpg

Here is a cleaner pic of the inside of the boat.
rear bench out 2.jpg

In case anybody is interested, here is my tow vehicle. It's a 04.5 5.9L Cummins. Hopefully the red we are painting the boat somewhat matches the truck.

Truck.jpg

Here is the boat layout that I am planning. Thanks to my architect wife.
I fish B.A.S.S. tournaments as a non-boater so I wanted storage space for my tackle bags, which are very large. Hopefully everything goes as planned. The rod locker is very large. Should be able to fit around 10 rod and reels. Lets hear your thoughts.

boat layout.jpg

Here is the motor on the stand. Seems to be holding it up pretty well.

Motor.jpg

Boat is off the trailer and primed. My beautiful wife is doing the priming and the painting. She is a keeper.

Primer.jpg

The boat is ready for the third coat. The strip down the side will be white.

Paint.jpg

The bottom and sides are done. It turned out pretty good.
Paint with Stripe.jpg

Here is a pic of the trailer. It was a pain to cut all of the rusted and seized up U-bolts off. It got all new U-bolts, leaf springs, bunks, and lights.
trailer fixed.jpg

The red and white is gonna look sharp being towed behind that Dodge. Everyone should get a diesel to tow a lightweight Alum. boat Lol. I'm Jealous!

I like your plans. Are you going to build a small step in front of the cooler/whats left of the rear bench to mount the drivers seat and passenger seat to?

Im asking because that is what i plan on doing. I have an alumacraft 1542 and I was gonna deck from the rear bench all the way back to the transom (just like a bass boat) with a hatch for the fuel tank. Then right in front of the bench build a step about 6 inches high out of plywood and some 2X6 to mount the driver and passenger seat to with a small storage area between the seats. Then an aluminum side console. My Idea is that it will move my weight more fwd,and more toward the centerline. Plus I will be sitting on a nice cushioned seat that is flush with the deck down in the boat, vice mounting a seat on the existing bench and sitting high above the rail on the boat.

Thanks for the good comments. I think the red and white looks sharp as well. As for the truck, I wanted to make sure I was never going to run out of power :wink:

I am framing a bench out of the aluminum tubing and plywood that the seats will attach to. It will run all of the way across the boat. Between the seats will be the step up for the back deck. It will be about 8" high. The bench will be hinged and used as under seat storage. It sounds like our ideas are very similar.

I love your boat. That Johnson is a great engine too. I am starting my boat this weekend (well after a year of having it parked elsewhere) and I am doing aluminum bracing and decking too. I wish my boat was as big as yours but I am just using it for 9.9 lakes and a 1648 is about as big as a 9.9 can move. Anyhow, I can't wait to see how yours turns out. I still can't believe you got that boat and motor for $1000. I think you got a steal. Good luck on the rest of your build and check out mine as I am going to be doing a lot of work this week and hopefully it will be finished next weekend.