1981 Evinrude 15 running bad?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Picked this motor up the other day for $160. Looks good,good compression been stored for 6 months. It started on the third pull but wouldnt pump water. I put a new water pump in and it pumps great now. The problem is it starts easily but when you push the choke in it runs a few seconds an dies. If you pull the choke back out before it dies and push it in again it will keep doing the same thing. I put new plugs in it and took the carb off and cleaned it. It wasnt that bad but, you never know about jets. The fuel pump seems to be keepin gas to the carb but it still runs a few seconds an dies. You can pull the choke and it will start back easy. Im confused to if its still the carb or the fuel pump? Any help appreciated. Thanks,Brian

Your comment(you never know about jets)does that mean you didn't see the jets or you didn't make sure they where clean.A carb has alot of small passages that have to be blown with an air compressor to make sure they are clean & not obstructed.It for sure sounds like a fuel issue.Is your primer bulb hard?Check balls in your primer bulb?Just a few things to check.

If it is the fuel pump you should be able to constantly pump the fuel line bulb and it continue to run good. Try this and let me know what happens. It sounds like it is either running out of fuel or has a air leak. These can be hard to find. Good luck let me know how this works out might have some more ideals.

Flintcreek

It sounds like the idle jets need cleaning. These jets are usually very small. It doesn't take anything to plug them. I bet once you get them cleared out it will idle like a dream.

Took the carb apart cleaned it good. I blew out all jets and holes with air gun. I tried squeezing the primer but it doesnt make a difference. If its an air leak where should I check for it at carb,fuel pump? Thanks,Brian

Air leaks are hard to find, could be a hose, gasket, connector. Pump the bulb up tight and look for fuel leaks, if it is sucking air it may be leaking fuel when you pump the bulb tight. This is how I found my last leak. I have also heard that you can spray WD40 around on the suspected area that might be sucking air and if it smooths out you have found the leak....I have not tried this. Try this and let us know what happens.

Flintcreek

I use carb cleaner to check for air leaks around the carb. If i spray it and it changes any, ie. smooths out or idles faster then you have an air leak.

Can you take a pic of the carb and the jets your cleaning?

I broke down and let someone who knows what there doing look at my engine. The mechanic tore the carb down and discovered the low speed idle mixture screw was broken up in the carb. He fixed that with a new needle and rebuilt the carb with a new kit. I go pick it up tommorow. He said it runs like new and starts on the first pull. Im glad it was easily reparied. Thanks to everyone for your help.Tinboats is such a great site with helpful friendly people. Thanks,Brian.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sure wish you could have posted pics, we might have save you some money. But you have it fixed and now you get to go enjoy it, have fun!

Latest posts