1981 Merc 50hp 2 stroke problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taboky

Reaction score
Hey all,

My son (15) bought an old Basstracker. The motor starts up and idles fine. runs smooth up to around 2500rpm, then starts to bog and sputter, then will catch and will run over 3000rpm no problem. I have worked on bike carbs, but never had a problem like this. Does this sound like a dirty carb or an adjustment out of whack? Never had a 2 stroke before.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Thanks. Question. It has 2 carbs. Unless both are dirty the same, would that symptom still happen? The last service I can find in the records was 2019, so with our crap gas definitely gonna do a clean. Also ordered new plugs

Get rebuild kits for the carbs so you have new needles and gaskets. Find a factory service manual so you will know how to sync the carbs and other settings. Run a compression test to be sure the motor is worth fixing. If the comp test is good, get an impeller kit and replace that before any serious running. Keep us posted...good luck !!

Sounds like the carbs are gunked up. You are probably best to pull the carbs, clean them up and rebuild. Not as scary as it sounds. That way you know you aren't starving a cylinder, which results in a destroyed motor. Also, replace the impeller, even if it's shooting water fine.

These two things should be the first things you do with a motor of unknown maintenance. Both of them can destroy your motor if neglected.

Water pump, carbs, and gear lube are the main ones. A couple more to consider are spark plugs, spark plug wires and making sure your shifter cables are adjusted right so you don't strip any gears.

You never know what the person before you, or one of their buddies did to a motor before you got it.

Thanks for all the replies. Been too busy at work to even do anything. However, my son and his friends did a treatment of Mechanic in a Bottle (had to look it up to see what it was) and replaced plugs. There is no hesitation or stumble anymore. Motor runs great. Just wanted to give a follow up as I don't like when problems are left hanging.