1990 Tohatsu - Now it won't start?!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
So on a whim (what else) I bought a 1990 Tohatsu that runs great and comes with the throttle controls but not the steering wheel. I have never done anything with a steering setup, so what will I need besides a steering wheel? I am going to build myself a console (not sure if it's going to be this year or not yet), likely a side console (likely port side if possible), so I will now need some help. Any suggestions now that I have gone and got myself in over my head?

EDIT: I watched this guy start it up with no problem. He pull started it 2 times and it fired up. I go to do the same, nothing! Please see my last post and offer any help you can, I am going to talk to an outboard mechanic tomorrow to see what they charge.

Is something like this viable and compatible with the Tohatsu - I think it's a 1991 (model M25C).

https://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=7690&categoryID=410

Here are a few pics of the motor.

Attachments

• !B(POopQ!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLlfZ3LBKbQiNoRkw~~_3.JPG
    !B(POopQ!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLlfZ3LBKbQiNoRkw~~_3.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 783
  • !B(POz9!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLly3cCBKbQi-8kiQ~~_3.JPG
    !B(POz9!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLly3cCBKbQi-8kiQ~~_3.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 783
  • !B(PP,-!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlvkV2BKbQlkvhig~~_3.JPG
    !B(PP,-!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlvkV2BKbQlkvhig~~_3.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 783
  • !B(PPz-Q!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLl),B+BKbQnNR87g~~_3.JPG
    !B(PPz-Q!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLl),B+BKbQnNR87g~~_3.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 783
How about stick steering? Seems would cut a bit down on weight and be practical given my setup?

https://www.iboats.com/Ezy_Glide_Stik_Steering_Products/dm/keywords.stik--**********.947286938--*******.517992081--view_id.5967--dz.12794?kcid=stik%20steering|1719124759&s_kwcid=s%20tik%20steering|1719124759

Would this fit my motor? Lots of questions!

Stick steer would work out great.You need to know how the steering connects to the front of the motor,then select the right length cable that will connect to your motor.Need pics of the front of the motor.

ben2go said:
Stick steer would work out great.You need to know how the steering connects to the front of the motor,then select the right length cable that will connect to your motor.Need pics of the front of the motor.

Will get them asap, as soon as I pick it up or he sends them over.

I have a line on stick steer for 90 bucks, and I already have the controls, so that should be good to go right with few modifications?

ben2go said:
Sounds like you have everything.Just a little fiddling and you'll be connected.

Thanks Ben, definitely hope to get it altogether soon so I can finally enjoy this money pit, lol.

Well there are some good people out there. I bought the motor on eBay without seeing it (took a chance, I know) because the auction was well under what I was willing to pay. When I showed up he pulled everything out for me, hooked up the muffs and fired her up. Motor pumped water great, and moved freely into and out of gear. Also did a compression test, and both cylinders were an even 130psi. He showed me how to hook everything up - from the electrical inside the motor, to the controls, to how to hook up the throttle and gear when I get my stick steer. I am just hoping the cable is long enough, it is going to be close. I was surprised how well everything worked, and how much time he took explaining everything to a neophyte.

I was told the stick steering was mailed today, so once that comes I can see if I can just hook it up like I think I can. I will post pictures soon. Tomorrow is paint day for my parents' (they are on a cruise in Italy!) living room, then fishing on Thursday with my brother and a friend.

I am hoping you can lend me some advice. After I spent the last two days building a stick steering setup I tried to start the motor for the first time today with no success. I followed everything the PO did (connected the fuel line, primed the ball, pulled the choke) and tried to start it with the key rather than pull. It fired up for about a second and then nothing. I had the choke out and turned the key again, and it fired up for a second and then died, it sounded like it choked out. After that the motor never engaged, only the starter (I think that's what it's called) engaged and worked. It sounded and looked like it was trying to start every time, it just wouldn't start. Like a car trying to start but won't turn over. I then disconnected the controls, and tried without them like we did at the PO's house, and use the manual start, and it wouldnt start up. I don't know what to do seeing as I have never really owned a motor before. Not compression, since it was tested at 130psi each cylinder. Maybe fuel? He said the gasket in the fuel filter needed to be replaced but was fine as is (leaks minimally)

I tried two batteries, and the motor sounded like it was trying to start, it just wouldn't engage.

Please help! I am trying to avoid bringing it to a marine mechanic!

I am a little unclear reading your description of what is happening. You say the starter is spinning? Is it in turn spinning the motor over? Pull the cowl and see if the starter drive is actually engaging the flywheel or just spinning freely. If it is engaging the flywheel and turning the motor I would check to see if the kill switch is grounding out and killing ignition fire.

phased said:
I am a little unclear reading your description of what is happening. You say the starter is spinning? Is it in turn spinning the motor over? Pull the cowl and see if the starter drive is actually engaging the flywheel or just spinning freely. If it is engaging the flywheel and turning the motor I would check to see if the kill switch is grounding out and killing ignition fire.

Thanks for the reply, I am chomping at the bit here.

I stink at explaining since I just don't know the proper terminology. When I turn the key the starter engages and spins the fly wheel. It started the first turn of the key, but then it died. It is not spinning freely. It seems like it should start, but just doesn't. I am going to take out the camer tomorrow and make a video or two to give people a good idea of what I am talking about.

I did push the kill switch in to make sure it was connected, so I don't know if it's that. There is one wire that is not connected to anything that comes out of the harness (or whatever it's called that houses the turn key). Could that be it? The guy didnt use the electricv start, he just connected the wires under the cowl and the pull started it.

Any chance that while hooking up the controls the "key" came out from under the kill switch? Your pic of the controls show it in the correct position but maybe it came out?

I woke up today telling myself it was something stupid I was overlooking, something minor.

Well wouldn't you know it, it was something stupid, something minor! I simply had to move the fast idle level on the control up. It worked on the first turn after I did that. Pumped water great, etc. I am pumped to get the stick steering out there tomorrow. It feels like it should work well. Thanks to those who helped my noobie self!

Glad to hear it was something simple. Those are the problems that usually drive me nuts before I find them. You are going to have a great boat there.Congrats.

phased said:
Glad to hear it was something simple. Those are the problems that usually drive me nuts before I find them. You are going to have a great boat there.Congrats.

Thanks, phased, appreciate the help and the praise. I was literally about to start calling mechanics and whatnot, but said, "Keep it simple stupid," and it worked.

The only problem I see with this stick steering set up is I won't be able to really take any videos for people to see, lol. I am hoping tomorrow goes well with my first test.

Latest posts