1993 Bass Tracker Pro 17 Restoration Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I keep spending money like I have it on this boat... Found a 2014 Mercury 4 stroke, EFI, 50 HP on sale as a new in box, "last year's model" at a local marine dealer and they will have it done tomorrow. Soooooo, I may actually get to catch some fish this week after all. I will let everyone know how it works out. I figure that motor should push me faster than I really want to go in that boat...

Thanks again to all that weighed in on the motor speed question! :D

That motor is gonna look beautiful sitting on the back of your rig. Just cause it will push the boat faster doesn't mean you have to run WOT. I think you will enjoy that extra little umph.

DarynCashmark said:
So... fellow tinboater's... I have a question for anyone with 40-60 motors on a 16'-17' boat... What kind of top end speed are you guys getting? I am not sure how bad it is yet, but the 'ole 1993 25 horse may have just breathed it's last breath yesterday. May be looking at a new motor, and would like to know what kind of top end speed to expect to see if I can justify the bigger bucks on something larger than my 25 hp Evinrude... Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 95 Pro 16 Deep V with an 09 Merc 50 2stroke, 31/32 wot GPS. I believe it's heavier than yours. Very, very nice build!
Rodney
Sorry, I didn't see your last post before I did mine. I prefer 2 strokes, I'm old and pretty set in my ways, 2 strokes are simpler with fewer parts and I like simple. LOL

First off, I want to say thanks again to everyone that responded ro my speed vs hp question. Went ahead with the 4 stroke, 50 horse Merc. With the exception of paying for it, I am pretty happy with it. Starts really easily, and can't even hardly tell it is running at idle. Still breaking her in, but so far hit about 33 mph top speed, which is great with me. It is really nice to have power tilt/ trim as well. So much for saving a bunch of money on a used boat. Story of my life. :)

srreynolds2003 said:
Great Job.... Gives me lots of Ideas for mine!
srreynolds2003:

Thanks for the props! Good luck with your build, I hope it gives you as much pleasure as mine did. And be sure to post lots of pictures. :D

The pain.... the pain!!!

After all of the work and money, I have decided to sell the Bass Tracker. Anyone that has followed this thread can see all of the work that went in. It is a really long story, but I never planned on selling this boat, or I would not have gone so far overboard with the restoration. Bad for me, good for you.

I have a post in the "For Sale" section:

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40124

I have posted a recent photo of her with the new 50 HP Merc 4 Stroke hanging off of the back.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the help with the restoration. Your help was invaluable!

01-Pro17.jpg
02-Pro17.jpg

I have truly enjoyed watching your build. Thank you for sharing. You have done a fine job! She's purdy! 8) Best of luck in selling her.

Respectfully,
Tyler, Texas

This news very much saddens me. This project is what finally made me quit being a lurker and join and become a part of this great community. The detail in this build is absolutely immaculate and set a new standard for tin renovating. I know when it's my time to finally tear into my BT, this is the build that I will use a template. I wish you the best with whatever life throws your way and hope for a happy sale!

TexasLoneStar and Wyatt: Thanks very much for your kind words and encouragement. I really am pretty bummed about selling the Bass Tracker, but I do take some comfort in knowing that whoever buys her will be getting a really nice boat. Anyway, I still love this forum, and will be checking in now and then to see how all of the great work is coming along on everyone's projects.

Ragin Cajun said:
That is some fine work you did! It's beautiful! You have got me wanting to polish my bass boat now :-k

Gotta admit that I do love the way it looks polished, but my only advice is figure it will tke 2 to 3 times longer than you are planning, and take the advice that dtbrake left during my build... Use Sharkhide on all of the polished aluminum after you get is all purty!!! :)

Son of a... I get all the way to the end and you are selling it? I am sorry you have to sell it and I hope everything is happy and healthy with you and your family!
Beautiful boat and top notch work!
I am in the process of re carpeting a 16' Spectrum Dominator. I am resisting the urge to get too crazy with it.
I see from the Fastfold screen boxes and road cases that you are in the production bizz. I drive a truck for a stage lighting company so I'm sure some of my restore pics will feature lots of lighting truss, road cases and the like. I also have access to two forklifts and a few hundred chain hoists! :D I am getting started on the plywood and layout this weekend. My biggest enemy in this build will be myself. I need to slow down and not half a** things just to see results.
Good luck and great build!!