1994 Spectrum 16 Sport Rebuild? - Bouncing ideas around

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. I like your boat. I will be moving the Bimini from my other boat to this one, and I might add some kind of enclosure. We will see.

Like you, I also like a light boat for this purpose. Something I can push off a sandbar if I get caught with the tide going out. The boat specs I've seen says this hull weighs 864#, but I'm pretty sure that includes the outboard (about 200#) as everything in the list shows it with a 40 HP engine included:

https://www.jdpower.com/boats/1994/spectrum-brunswick/16-sport___/10170436/specs

The side console version is listed at 640# with a 25hp outboard, and I think I'm closer to that weight now. I have removed a lot of stuff from this boat, like all the seats, side cushions and bow rider stuff to convert it into a fishing boat. In the water, I was shocked at how light this boat feels. It came with a 40HP, but even with the bigger Johnson on the back, the chines are barely in the water.

It feels the same or lighter than my Princecraft open hull boat. But when I hit a wake, it feels very solid. No crashing or banging, just thump-thump-thump and I'm through it. I really like that. I want this boat to be light and fuel efficient, like my last one.

Speaking of fuel efficient, what motor do you have on your boat? My other has a 50 on the back and really sips gas if I keep it under 30. It almost makes gas cruising at 25.

Very nice. I like your boat. I will be moving the Bimini from my other boat to this one, and I might add some kind of enclosure. We will see.

Like you, I also like a light boat for this purpose. Something I can push off a sandbar if I get caught with the tide going out. The boat specs I've seen says this hull weighs 864#, but I'm pretty sure that includes the outboard (about 200#) as everything in the list shows it with a 40 HP engine included:

https://www.jdpower.com/boats/1994/spectrum-brunswick/16-sport___/10170436/specs

The side console version is listed at 640# with a 25hp outboard, and I think I'm closer to that weight now. I have removed a lot of stuff from this boat, like all the seats, side cushions and bow rider stuff to convert it into a fishing boat. In the water, I was shocked at how light this boat feels. It came with a 40HP, but even with the bigger Johnson on the back, the chines are barely in the water.

It feels the same or lighter than my Princecraft open hull boat. But when I hit a wake, it feels very solid. No crashing or banging, just thump-thump-thump and I'm through it. I really like that. I want this boat to be light and fuel efficient, like my last one.

Speaking of fuel efficient, what motor do you have on your boat? My other has a 50 on the back and really sips gas if I keep it under 30. It almost makes gas cruising at 25.

Thanks. Mine is a 50 HP Honda four stroke. The outboard and all the crap (er, I mean essential equipment) I've bolted on might add close to 400 pounds. Then there is me and all the misc gear. Even with all the weight I've added to the boat, fuel usage is pretty decent. If I'm trying to get somewhere I'm typically under 30 (WOT is 32).

I enjoyed the video your posted. That motor spins right up!

30 mph is not bad at all for a 50 HP on a 18' boat! I'd be pretty happy with that.

Yesterday, I replaced the impeller in my water pump, and I also put on a 19p prop. A little high, maybe?

Nope, it hit just right, as rigged. 39 mph at 5700 RPM when trimmed perfectly, which is the proper WOT for that motor. That little boat moves well.

Here is a short video. I was playing with trim, so it took a bit to hit the right spot. Only ran 38.2 in the shot, but good enough for a quick demo:

Once I install trolling motor, batteries, seats, carpet and people, I'll probably end up with a 17 pitch prop, which I have. I'm guessing I'll probably be running about 35 then, but we will see. Flying solo was pretty fun.

Speaking of flying... While taking video, an AIRPLANE did a touch and go in front of me. Not what I was expecting to see! You can see it at the end of the video.

Last edited:
Oh, and I'm pretty confident that I'm getting 70 HP out of this motor with the carbs and other changes I made. But it's not like I'm going to rent a dyno to test it. Just a gut feeling.

Also, no more ticking sound when running. I suspect that she was getting a little warm with the old impeller. Can't be sure, but for whatever reason, that funny sound is gone.

I'm pretty happy with this little boat. I was 75% sure I would keep this one over the 16 Princecraft, now I'm 90% sure.

Thanks, Stand up. I still have a long way to go, but the skeleton is there.

This afternoon, I pumped the soapy water out of the fuel tank, dried it with a towel stuffed inside and mopped around with a coat hanger, and installed new sender, pickup tube, hoses, primer bulb and filter. Put in 5 gallons of fuel and the gas gauge is reading well. No more portable tank!

Then I sealed completely around the edges of the new flooring. That way water won't get in there and sit. Then I permanently screwed down the rear deck and soaked it with Thompson's just in case.

Soon, I'll seal the front deck perimeter, add a stiffener to the front step edge. Then I need to strip, clean and paint the gunnels white to match everything else. Carpet on gunnels is just dumb, in my opinion.

Stereo, fishfinder/GPS, passenger seating...There is a ton more to do, but at least the boat can be used at this point.

I was watching “Life below zero” last night. The character living on a houseboat, moored to a floating dock in SE AK, has a boat just Ike yours. He caught a huge king salmon fishing out of that aluminum spectrum runabout.

A lot of other characters on that show and other shows based in AK, are using aluminum boats. They are work boats, used for fishing, hunting, pushing log barges, harvesting firewood…whatever they need to do on the water, they are doing it in tin boats.

This confirms how tough and maintenance free these boats are.

Nice boat!

My big question is do I pull the Garmin out of the Princecraft yet.

We are going to Nags Head for vacation next week. Trying to decide whether to bring a boat, or just let my bro. in law bring his, and fish with him.

IF I bring mine, I have a lot to do before Saturday!

It's getting there. I have a ton of trim carpet to do, but that will wait. I just built up the bow cap to handle a trolling motor. I have a Riptide Terrova that's going there.

Also, I did something I've wanted for awhile in a boat with a split windshield. I made a way to stop cold air from coming through the center pass through in the winter.

The bow area has a bunch of storage under it, so I built a door to access or close it off as desired. I designed it so that when you flip it up, it blocks air from coming down the center of the boat. Here are some pics...

Window open, the hatch in the normal, closed position:
Resized_20230907_160939.jpeg

Windshield closed, as you would when running in the cold or rain:
Resized_20230907_164505.jpeg

And here is with the lower door up, to block wind from coming in:
Resized_20230907_164222.jpeg

So no more tornado of cold air blowing through the middle of the boat when running in the winter. Yes, I'm tickled with this stupid little hatch. Call me dumb, it's okay.

I hope so, Axehammer. Should know tomorrow.

Very interesting boat, Ldubs. West coast boats often have a different look that east coast boats. Colder water, bigger seas. How big is that boat? 17 or 18'?

From the pic, it looks like your console is forward, giving you a larger cockpit. That cover is interesting. My first boat came with a cover like that, they called it a "camping enclosure", as it had a back section that went all the way back to the stern of the boat. So you could zip it up and go out in the rain or spend the night, fully protected.

Did you make that enclosure yourself?

More pics!

The carpet looks great. Here are some additional pic's of the top on my boat:

Top2.pngTop1.pngTop.pngFolded.png

That is a sweet boat, Ldubs! Really love many things about it. Mine is junk next to that one!

That is a sweet boat, Ldubs! Really love many things about it. Mine is junk next to that one!

Thank you and junk is the last word I would use to describe your boat -- No Way! That boat of yours is pretty robust and I like the wide open cockpit. BTW, the seat boxes in mine are open in the front so I can shove backpacks full of stuff in there. That is a benefit but I like the open feel that your helm pedestal gives.

I'm still thinking about the seating. I have the back to back seat that was there before, and an aluminum box with swivel seat from another boat.

But I don't really need more storage. There is a ton of storage under the front and back platforms, but I'm considering either another swivel seat on the port side or maybe a 84 quart cooler with a seat cushion. That's my fav currently, as it's big enough to seat two and keeper fish can get flipped directly in without sliming up the new carpet.

Either way, I'll miss the open space!

Last edited:

Latest posts