1994 Spectrum 16 Sport Rebuild? - Bouncing ideas around

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same concerns as you did with weather, so I'm going to cap the front and use under it for storage and putting a bigger tank in the floor there. Solid windshield and side glass for protection from the weather.

This is why I made the flip-up wind block, but I didn't want to waste too much fishing space, so I made that big front platform. I could also do a snap-on trampoline cover over the bow area. It's a thought.

Something I'm considering is making an enclosure for this boat. I've done it with a number of boats in the past. An enclosure REALLY makes winter fishing a better experience, especially when you crank up the "chiller killer," a catalytic tent heater. or the big-eye propane heater for super cold days.

Here are pics of the last one I made:
20180626_115054crop.jpg20171010_115124.jpg

As you can see, it gives full visibility but keeps everyone snug as a bug in a rug. You jump in, zip up and turn on the heat. Take off the coats and just watch the cold/wet weather go by, like being in a car in the winter.

Some say it's cheating... I say they are just jealous, ha ha!

Last edited:
You do good work...but my tastes are different. And I'm a bit lazy. I don't want to have fabric/plastic to roll/unroll, so going to do permanent. What I have in mind is building a 'cockpit' for 1-2. I have a 19+ alum boat, so I can build the framing then sheath in the enclosure. This will be a great lakes boat, so it's cool/colder there than other places.
I've got the boat stripped to just the hull and won't make up my mind until I do the floor framing and put a deck on it. Then I'll stand in it and see how efficiently I can lay out the 'shelter' and workspace.
Was a bowrider, but that will be covered by raised alum, figure 6-8" and used for storage. Any water comes over the bow, I'm going to channel that to dump off the sides around that cockpit. longer boats work best for the waves here, but to a point. I also prefer a lower center of gravity, not a tall boat. Don't have a tall bow, so don't need a tall cockpit to see over it.

So cockpit won't be a stand up one. This is the best example what I'd like to build. Don't know if I can upload this pic, but basically a covered bow, center console in a 'cockpit'. I figure to leave about 5-6 feet in back of open deck for fishing.

You do good work...but my tastes are different. And I'm a bit lazy. I don't want to have fabric/plastic to roll/unroll, so going to do permanent. What I have in mind is building a 'cockpit' for 1-2. I have a 19+ alum boat, so I can build the framing then sheath in the enclosure. This will be a great lakes boat, so it's cool/colder there than other places.
I've got the boat stripped to just the hull and won't make up my mind until I do the floor framing and put a deck on it. Then I'll stand in it and see how efficiently I can lay out the 'shelter' and workspace.
Was a bowrider, but that will be covered by raised alum, figure 6-8" and used for storage. Any water comes over the bow, I'm going to channel that to dump off the sides around that cockpit. longer boats work best for the waves here, but to a point. I also prefer a lower center of gravity, not a tall boat. Don't have a tall bow, so don't need a tall cockpit to see over it.

So cockpit won't be a stand up one. This is the best example what I'd like to build. Don't know if I can upload this pic, but basically a covered bow, center console in a 'cockpit'. I figure to leave about 5-6 feet in back of open deck for fishing.

can't upload a pic so I'll see if I can find a link to what I'm talking about.

... cockpit won't be a stand up one. This is the best example what I'd like to build. Don't know if I can upload this pic, but basically a covered bow, center console in a 'cockpit'. I figure to leave about 5-6 feet in back of open deck for fishing.

can't upload a pic so I'll see if I can find a link to what I'm talking about.

If the pic is online, right-click on the pic and click on "Save".

Open up your "files" menu and the folder it's in. In my computer, it's under "Files > Downloads."

Open up this thread, then click and drag the picture into the text box and it should transfer over. Or, you can click on the insert picture icon in the make post window and do it that way.

You can also right click on the picture and click on "Copy Image Address" and then paste the address into your reply here and I'll download it and put it up.

Very interested to see your concept.

I'm still thinking this over.

The boat pictured is a big boat, 24 foot, so 4-6 people could ride inside the enclosure comfortably. Putting it up and taking it down was pretty quick, but it usually stayed up all winter. It was pretty sturdy. I sold that boat a couple of years ago, but I miss the comfort of that thing. Really nice cabin with a stove and head, and huge bed. Great for weekending.

For this little boat, I need to think it over. Not nearly as cold here as up in the great lakes. Do I really need an enclosure?

I HATE short enclosures, where you have to hunch over to get in and out. My first boat had that, and it did get you out of the weather but it was really inconvenient.

Some guys around here have "Phone Booth" enclosures, and that's a thought. Probably, I'll start with just the front window and go from there. We'll see. Still thinking about it.

Holy moly, it worked. Thanks.
I was at quantico and remember how wet/damp/cold it can get there. Now throw in rain/mist/wind.

This is what I'm looking at. I've not decided if it'll be a center wheel or drivers side wheel, then leave the center and other side open so can access under (covered bow) storage. I'll make up my mind when the deck is on and do different layouts to see what works best.
Fuel tank is all the way in front, 20 gal. I may keep that then stick another one in the bottom of the bow to get better range.

I have a 100 HP on it now and will probably reduce that to 80. I want fuel efficiency for range.

What kind of heater do you have? coleman?

That looks like a great big lake boat. The first one looks a little lighter, with less superstructure, but hard to say from pics.

The small heater is a Coleman, yes:
cat heat 1.jpg

It is good to keep the hands warm out in the open, and warms up a tight enclosure to maybe 50 degrees when it's in the 20-30's.

When it's really cold, we run the big heater:

4913739.jpg

Even on lowest setting, this one puts out a lot of BTU's and will run you out of the enclosure if you zip it up.

We set this one in a milk crate and just aim it and it works great. Radiant heat rocks when it's cold! You just can't stand in front of it when wearing a rubber rain suit or you risk melting it.

Obviously, you must be careful when running heat in a boat. I've only used the little tent heater in a small boat.

I'm driving past Quantico on my way to work tomorrow.
It does get cold here in snaps, but usually doesn't last long.

I just noticed the one boat has the same cooler seat that I am putting in mine. Very functional

I'm replacing the drain in this one. Someone put one in, but didn't do it right. Using some flared tubing to make a proper, pluggable drain. Tempting to put a fitting and hose on it, so I can drain it to the bilge, when desired, rather than dump it on the carpet.

Yeah... Carpet is a bit of a pain.

Here is a not very clear pic of the canvass top on my walk-thru (the center part is unzipped in the pic). I am 6'-4" and can stand under it. Not shown are clear side windows that zip and snap in. I also went from a side console to this walk-thru. It does provide much appreciated protection in the cold months. I fold the whole thing forward when not in use.

View attachment 116508
Here is a boat like mine with a similar top as yours:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1061199311981555

Just a recommendation try using one of those buddy heaters. I use them in my garage and they work great. You can adjust the heat. You can either run the small cans or the 50 gallon tank with the right hose.

Only a few minutes to work on the boat today, and I added a tube drain to the cooler seat and added a cushion.

I used an old piece of gym mat because it's firm, then cut and sanded into shape.

I am not wrapping it in vinyl yet, because I don't want it to look too pretty. That sounds funny, but we are about to take a road trip to NC and I don't want to catch the eyes of opportunistic thieves at gas stations and rest stops. Let it look a bit "poor" for the trip.

I'm driving past Quantico on my way to work tomorrow.
It does get cold here in snaps, but usually doesn't last long.

I just noticed the one boat has the same cooler seat that I am putting in mine. Very functional

I'm replacing the drain in this one. Someone put one in, but didn't do it right. Using some flared tubing to make a proper, pluggable drain. Tempting to put a fitting and hose on it, so I can drain it to the bilge, when desired, rather than dump it on the carpet.

Yeah... Carpet is a bit of a pain.
When you drive by the entrance, through woodbridge, get near the center line, then take a moment and smile for me. I beat the snot out of a guy there one night. He very much deserved it.
That's the wet cold that goes to your bones. The other seasons were nice tho.

Neither of those boats are very big. that's why I'm interested in that layout for mine. Looking at the trailer, I'd say the bottom one is 16'. If you go back and look at the older crestliners, they have their wheelhouse up close to the front and what looks like an 8-10 elevated roof for a little cuddy in it. That's a variation of what I'm looking at.

If the seats are going to be up front though, I'm going to have to get comfortable seats w/springs to help absorb any of the wave hits. I don't boat like that but even so, out there 8 hours the unplanned ones can add up.

Why not use fittings and pex w/that? Pex is flexible enough to bend it yet stuff enough to make runs with it by itself, like under the deck. Can also use the push fittings with it and provide you do it correctly, they're great. They're approved for behind walls in houses.

I'm not putting carpet in another boat I do. marine grade textured vinyl, sheet so no joints. Glue down, so no screws.
Yup, a functional space saver. That'd only be if I put the wheel in the middle. if not in the back.

Just a recommendation try using one of those buddy heaters. I use them in my garage and they work great. You can adjust the heat. You can either run the small cans or the 50 gallon tank with the right hose.
You can also refil those smaller tanks from the larger ones. I've been saving a 20gal propane for....something, so this might be it. I have a 12VDC one, backseat heat, but that would be a battery drainer.

Yes, I've used Buddy heaters, too. They heat well, but I found them not suitable for use in a boat.

One reason is that they have a sensitive tilt-shutoff safety feature. It's a good safety feature, and probably saves lives. But we fish out in the Chesapeake Bay in the fall and winter, and it's usually rough out. Every time we hit a big roller, it would shut off. That got annoying fast. It would even shut off while drifting.

I could have deactivated that safety, but besides that, you couldn't turn it down enough on not so cold days. And it was too tall for sitting on my dash. It put out heat too close to the vinyl enclosure, and ended up on the floor. On the floor, the flat, wide shape made it hard to secure.

For a variety of reasons, I got rid of the Buddy heater and stuck with the Coleman cat heater for somewhat cold days, and the big 20# bottle heater for very cold days. For the price of Buddy, I bought both heaters with quite a bit of money to spare.

Buddy just didn't fit our needs, but I know they are great units.

You can also refil those smaller tanks from the larger ones. I've been saving a 20gal propane for....something, so this might be it. I have a 12VDC one, backseat heat, but that would be a battery drainer.
I do that regularly, for many years, now.

We use a portable, stainless grill on the pontoon boat on most trips out, besides the heaters and torches for the job.

I'm also a beekeeper, and use a small propane lighting torch for my smoker. That little torch is the most used torch I've ever had.

When you drive by the entrance, through woodbridge, get near the center line, then take a moment and smile for me. I beat the snot out of a guy there one night. He very much deserved it.
That's the wet cold that goes to your bones. The other seasons were nice tho.

Neither of those boats are very big. that's why I'm interested in that layout for mine. Looking at the trailer, I'd say the bottom one is 16'. If you go back and look at the older crestliners, they have their wheelhouse up close to the front and what looks like an 8-10 elevated roof for a little cuddy in it. That's a variation of what I'm looking at.

If the seats are going to be up front though, I'm going to have to get comfortable seats w/springs to help absorb any of the wave hits. I don't boat like that but even so, out there 8 hours the unplanned ones can add up.

Why not use fittings and pex w/that? Pex is flexible enough to bend it yet stuff enough to make runs with it by itself, like under the deck. Can also use the push fittings with it and provide you do it correctly, they're great. They're approved for behind walls in houses.

I'm not putting carpet in another boat I do. marine grade textured vinyl, sheet so no joints. Glue down, so no screws.
Yup, a functional space saver. That'd only be if I put the wheel in the middle. if not in the back.

I know that exact spot. Hopefully, no one got any serious injury and important lessons were learned.

I hate the cold, damp, rainy, windy weather we get sometimes in the winter. I'd rather it get cold and stay cold than that nasty stuff. Turns to sheet ice at night, and is slick as snot in the morning. Snow is so much easier to deal with. It's clean, dry and gives you some traction.

I use Pex a lot. I'm thinking of making up a push-in drain hose that I can use on occasion I remember seeing a tapered neoprene foam thing on a hose just the other day. Now I can't remember where I saw that.

Worst case, I can make one, but you have my brain working, now. Thanks for that!

Water test #3 - Some good, some bad...

Trailered the boat to the ramp. Should have washed it, but have been focusing on mechanical stuff:
Resized_20230929_172110.jpeg

Dropped the boat in and she started right up. Noticed the fuel connector leaking pretty badly. Needed to keep an eye on that. She jumped on plane, and we ran down the lake. Stopped to fish for a bit. Caught bass, crappie and white perch:

Resized_20230929_174028 (1).jpeg

With two people, the new trolling motor, batteries and gear, the boat topped out at about 37 MPH, but it jumped up on plane almost the same as when I was alone, using the 19P prop. Trolling motor was good, but I miss the Autopilot on the other boat. I might steal that off the other motor.

After a week of rain and gloom, this afternoon was absolutely beautiful. Hated to see the sun go down, but that was beautiful too.
Resized_20230929_184015.jpeg

Everything on the boat worked well, but while running, suddenly the engine bogged, and I noticed that the bulb has been sucked flat. I had cleaned the tank, but something was in thee, clogging the fuel pickup tube. RATS!!! Shut down, and whatever it was fell off, and fuel delivery returned. Headed back to the ramp. Got a few shots of the boat in the water:

Resized_20230929_192440.jpeg

I'm very happy with the lights. I got the viewing angles are right, which is important for USCG inspections that are coming up.

Resized_20230929_192837.jpeg

We pulled the boat out of the water and pulled the drain plug. Moment of truth... Despite a couple of hours on the water, including running the livewell, the bilge BONE DRY. YES!!! That was quite a relief. I hate a leaky boat. I guess re-sealing the bolts worked as planned.

Here is the boat at the ramp. Shakedown cruise successful.

Resized_20230929_193546.jpeg
Resized_20230929_193559.jpeg

Overall, it was a good test. The fuel system had a few issues, and the boat needs a little balance, as the port side is heavier than the starboard side. I have another battery to add, so hopefully, it will work out okay.

Last edited:
Some after thoughts from boat testintg today.

The pros:
Ryan thinks this boat has more fishing space than the Princecraft, despite them being the same size. I agree.
Ryan thinks the windshield is very functional, and will be more so as the weather cools. I agree.
Ryan likes the front and back platforms a lot.
Ryan likes the fishbox/cooler seat a lot.
Lots of great spots to stash stuff. Really like that.
New carpet is very comfortable underfoot, or to take a nap on.

The cons:
The boat feels tippy compared to the Princecraft, despite being heavier. A product of having more V.
The boat definitely leans toward the port side when at rest. Two batteries on that side. Should be able to fix that.
Something clogging the fuel pickup, and the fuel fitting leaks. The fitting is easy, pickup is a pain, but I will find it.
No Autopilot. That's a pain, but I can get one.
No rod storage. Need to figure that out.
Very poor space for a larger fish finder. Need to think carefully about that.
The trailer has tiny, 8" wheels and tires, and very low bunks. Must be careful when loading to not drag the prop. Not a great highway trailer. Thinking of swapping trailers with the Princecraft.

This is after testing it for 2 hours. Will test more this week.

Last edited:

Latest posts