2 stroke 4 stroke Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X53Gunner

Reaction score
OK I'm sick of buying 200-300 dollar motors off Craigslist and finding yep you guessed it problems that I have to fix. I don't mind fixing things but I'm getting to the point in my life were I want to go out pull the rope a few times and go fishing. I'm looking at doing a few trips up into Michigan's Upper Peninsula, possibly Canada and want to purchase a newer very reliable motor for a change. My boat is a Tracker 1542 and I now have a late 1960's 10hp Johnson. It gets me and my fishing partner up on plane even though we are both alittle large..LOL Any way the motor, as all older motors has its issues. Most of my time under power will be at Idle as I putt up a creek to a private lake. I however will be going to larger lakes also. I know two stokes like to load up when idled allot. I also know 4 strokes don't jump on plane as fast but its not like I'm going to be pulling anyone around behind me. Would I be better off just getting a 2000 or newer 4 stroke in the 15 to 20 hp range to make up for the weight difference? Or Is my late 1960's 2 stroke 10hp motor comparable to the newer 15-20hp motors in weight? Anyway I'll take all and any advise! I want to be sure before I make the decision. Thanks for your time!
Scott

Well I can give you this bit of info.I have a 1975 15hp Evinrude & it runs like a watch.I can idle for hours & crank the throttle & up on plane it goes.I have never had a loading up problem when I idle for long periods.You get a 80's or newer 15hp Johnson or Evinrude & you'll never look back.Those motors are pretty light also.You should be able to pick up one of those for around $6-800 bucks,depending where your located.

you might want to check this site out I was going too order here once I get started on my boat. I too have been looking at craiglist. Up in the air. Always loved Johnsons 2 stroke outboard old school. 15 to 20 hp :D

https://www.smalloutboards.com/

My preference is 4 stroke. I will never own another 2 stroke. They both have their advantages. I have a 04' 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke that gets more hours put on it a year than most see in 5 + years. I've never had a problem due to the motor. The only problems I have had were my fault such as an Ethanol issue and bad fuel. They are heavy, I had too put pods on my boat because of this. This is the only draw back I can find. I get twice the fuel milage over my 25hp 2 stroke Yammy. Great cold start ability. Best of all, I DO NOT have to buy 2 stroke oil. I do change the oil twice a year at $10 each time. I live in an area with a huge charter boat fleet and I challenge you to find a Captain around MS and LA still running a 2-stroke. This tells me a lot!!

Off subject, but an oil distributor told me that 2 cycle oil is going to sky rocket in the next few years. He said that companies such as Yamaha were phasing out 2-strokes and the price is based on supply and demand and taxes. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Specknreds said:
My preference is 4 stroke. I will never own another 2 stroke. They both have their advantages. I have a 04' 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke that gets more hours put on it a year than most see in 5 + years. I've never had a problem due to the motor. The only problems I have had were my fault such as an Ethanol issue and bad fuel. They are heavy, I had too put pods on my boat because of this. This is the only draw back I can find. I get twice the fuel milage over my 25hp 2 stroke Yammy. Great cold start ability. Best of all, I DO NOT have to buy 2 stroke oil. I do change the oil twice a year at $10 each time. I live in an area with a huge charter boat fleet and I challenge you to find a Captain around MS and LA still running a 2-stroke. This tells me a lot!!

Off subject, but an oil distributor told me that 2 cycle oil is going to sky rocket in the next few years. He said that companies such as Yamaha were phasing out 2-strokes and the price is based on supply and demand and taxes. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Two stroke oil will be around for quite some time. Etec, Optimax and TLDI meet or beat 4 strokes in performance, fuel mileage and more importantly pollution. Two stroke technology is not going away. In actuality 4 stroke outboards will have some high hurdles to clear when they are required have catalytic converters, remember what those wonderful devices did for cars. Even if it were true buy 10 gallons of 2 stroke oil (enough for 1000 gal @ 100:1) would likely last the lifetime of my Yammie 25

I've had 2 stroke Yamaha's and Johnson's and now I own a '05 Johnson 15HP 4 stroke and I'd never go back to a 2 stroke. 4 strokes are pricier and heavier but the lack of noise, exhaust, and oil mixing definitely more than make up for it. Just my opinion.

my biggest question is the weight. Are 4-strokes really all that much heavier than the 2-stroke? I fish with x-53 gunner, and yes we are a bit on the large size. I have not been able to find the weight difference between a 15 merc 2-stroke, and a 15 merc 4-stroke. anybody here know the difference? It could turn out to be the defining factor to the motor he ultimately buys.

thanks for your help.

jspiel said:
my biggest question is the weight. Are 4-strokes really all that much heavier than the 2-stroke? I fish with x-53 gunner, and yes we are a bit on the large size. I have not been able to find the weight difference between a 15 merc 2-stroke, and a 15 merc 4-stroke. anybody here know the difference? It could turn out to be the defining factor to the motor he ultimately buys.

thanks for your help.
I did a bit of research before I purchased my present motor (2009 Yamaha 25 2 stroke). I origionally intended to go with a 4 stroke. In my research I found the lightest 25 4 stroke was 50% heavier than the 2 stroke, 157# to 105#. That was the major consideration based on the 15' Aluminum hull I have.
fuel economy on these small motors just is not that big of a factor. The increased punch/throttle response also played a factor. 4 strokes idle better and are preferred over 2 strokes for trolling but I will say this. I have trolled for hours with a 3 cyl carbed 2 stroke and not have a seconds problem. The dealer I bought from has both and was pleased to sell me either but also recommended the 2 stroke based on his experiences with my type of application. I have nothing against 4 strokes but I think 2 strokes have a strong argument in the type of boats we are talking about. As for the 15 Mercs the 4 stroke weighs 114# for the manual short, I believe the 2 stroke is around 80#. That's about a 42% gain in weight. That said the Merc 20 is the same weight and might be a good choice.

I'm with Whitedog on this one. When I bought my G3 1544 last year I decided to go with the 2-stroke 25 hp Yamaha. The boat itself weighs 218 pounds. The 2-stroke Yamaha weighs 111 pounds versus 168 pounds for the 4-stroke Yamaha of the same horsepower. I just couldn't see bolting an extra 57 pounds (almost exactly half the weight of the boat) on the transom for the same horsepower. I personally don't find mixing the oil to be an inconvenience and my hearing is so lousy after years of competitive pistol shooting that I don't find the noise to be a problem either. Also, the cost of a 4-stroke was much more than a 2-stroke. Having had a bulletproof 30 hp 1988 Evinrude for 17 years I wanted to stay with proven 2-stroke reliability. Call me a dinosaur, but I just like 2-strokes better.

It was too early in the morning when I wrote the previous post. What I meant to say is that I couldn't see bolting on an additional 57 pounds, which is half again the weight of the 2-stroke motor, not the boat. Now where's that coffee?

Well guys I posted in another post I picked up a 4 stroke 18HP Tohatsu. Bought brand new for 1700.00 with two quarts of oil, gear lube and a new 6 gallon tank. I am so happy with my choice if starts first pull, sips gas and it only weighs in at 114 pounds and runs like a fine tuned watch. I believe its a perfect match for my 1642. Thanks for the help guys!
Scott

Congrats on the Tohatsu. They are good motors. The 2010 models are now 20 hp. Merc markets the same engine with Merc cowling and graphics.

Good choice, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 4 stroke. My 15 HP Johnson 4 stroke weighs in at 97#'s so they aren't really that much heavier than the 2 strokes but they are much quieter and cleaner.

Latest posts