2005 Bass tracker (makeover)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djuban

Reaction score
Few questions on my boat project.
-how to remove the old glue adhesive. I was able to get all the glue off the compartment lids, but the back deck and sides is not working no matter how much goof off/acetone I use.
-wood, while I was ripping the carpet out I decided I would go ahead and replace the wood since I have easy access to it. I took the old wood out carelessly since I had planned on replacing it. I was just going to put down some pressure treated plywood but after I did some research on that I decided to spend the extra money and get marine grade plywood. Now I am reading it has to be sealed with epoxy or some other sealant. I can not seem to find a clear answer on this, should I seal the wood or not? If so, what should I seal it with? Also, I read that the wood has to be sealed in the screw holes and staple holes. How exactly would you do that? staple it, pull the staples out, seal it, then put new staples in the same hole? That seems kind of crazy.
- should I replace all the foam in the boat even if it looks okay?

Here is a few pics of the boat. I started the project a few months ago and got frustrated with it so I stopped working on it. after reading a certain project on these forums I got motivated to take another shot at it.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 931
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 931
  • 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 931
  • 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 931
  • 008 (2).JPG
    008 (2).JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 931
  • 010 (2).JPG
    010 (2).JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 931
  • 009 (2).JPG
    009 (2).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 931
Wow, That's a gorgeous boat. You should have no problem putting that thing back together and getting back on the water.

To answer your questions: On the 3M that I used on my boat, I'm sure that it was the adhesive, not the materials. I would definitely stay away from that for any adhesive needs on your boat. I even tried contact cement afterward and had no luck. Stick with a good solid carpet adhesive, and let it dry very well before removing any clamping to keep it wrapped well. Also one other thing that I used for some bare edges was 3M 5200 sealant. I used this up near my hinges on my covers and it is the one raw edge that didn't end up peeling up. I would definitely suggest that for any critical areas.

To remove the old glue, I used a drill or grinder with a wire cup on it. I found that it worked the best and fastest for removing old adhesive. It leaves a nice scuffed surface for the new glue to adhere to.

For sealing the wood, there are two main options: 1) Use 2 part epoxy and give it a couple of solid coats. This is more expensive, I spent about $100 for the epoxy for my boat. 2) Use Spar Urethane and give at least 2-3 heavy coats (I used this when I ran out of epoxy). It's less expensive, but also not quite as durable as the epoxy. Either way, seal both sides and give an extra coat for the edges.

I didn't worry about the holes I drilled for the rivets in the floor of my boat. I certainly didn't do anything about the staple holes. My biggest thing is to keep the boat under a cover ALL of the time. The sun does just as much damage as the rain, and a cover solves both. The most water that the bottom of my boat has seen is the once annual wash down that I give it. During the week when I'm not fishing, I throw the cover over it with my two raised seats in place. That gives a nice slope to the cover and I haven't had a drop in it since.

Again, if the foam looks good, then leave it. for a 2005, I would be seriously concerned about the maintenance of the boat if the foam was already waterlogged. Best thing to keep the foam dry???? Don't let it get wet. Again, a boat cover works perfectly for this.

Good luck with the build! I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thank you. I am going to try the wire cup out tomorrow. Once that gets done I should be able to start putting the carpet back on and putting everything back together. I'm very excited to get started back on this. Thanks again.

I second the wire cup but use it on a grinder and wear safety glasses because the tiny wire strands will come off. The grinder works better than a drill cup brush.

GL on your project. I have an 04 just like yours, so if you need some measurements on original stuff, give me a holler.

Just an idea if you really wanted to staple the carpet to the wood versus carpet adhesive, maybe this would work:

Place the wood with side getting staped up, place a thick line of 3M 5200 sealant across any area you plan on putting staples in. Then lay the carpet, clamp it, and start laying staples. This way when you staple through the carpet in to the wood, they will shoot through a layer of 5200 which should help seal them at least a little.

Speaking from experience I did a temporary carpet job on frabricated seats I cut from exterior A/C grade plywood. I then sealed the wood with epoxy resin, and stapled down the carpet after it cured. When I removed the temporary carpet job a few weeks ago the staples had rusted, and rotted black marks in my wood where they were sunk through the resin. So I pulled them all out, recoated with epoxy resin and then 5 thin coats of spar urethane with a roller and squeegee.

I don't think I will recarpet them but if I do it will be adhesive. I don't think staples are a great option, personally.

Definitely need to use Monel or Stainless staples. If not, the staples will be useless within a matter of weeks. There is no corrosion resistance on standard staples and the rusted staples will wick water down into the wood.

I have a hard time with carpeting in boats. It feels nice, but it's just a sponge for water and smells. For me, anything that helps protect the wood (textured paint, Vinyl) will help maximize the life of your decking.

Thanks for all the input. If I would have seen your post before I ordered my carpet I would have went with the marine Vinyl but since the carpet is sitting in my garage I'm going to go with that. I picked up some of that 3m 5200 adhesive, I think I am going to use that for the lids. Good idea on putting staples through that though, think I will try that. I was going to put the adhesive on the top of the wood and then put the staples on the bottom side. Is that incorrect?

I was able to get a good bit done tonight, I will be so glad when all this old glue is gone. Such a pain. The wire cup removes it pretty good. I'm not sure how to get under the flares on the back though, can't fit much of anything under there. Also, the wire cup is working so well should I go back over my lids with it? I would say 98% of the old glue is gone but I would like to scuff them up to make the carpet stick better to them also.

Here are some pics of the progress I made today. I had to stop before someone called the HOA on me. haha.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 848
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 848
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 848
I wouldn't worry about going under the flares. That area is just a spot to tuck the carpet under to keep it looking nice. I would probably give your other covers a quick scuff, it will help hold the adhesive.

Nice work!

Keep up the work. Don't give up.
Xylol will eat the carpet glue.
Wood doesn't have to be sealed, but it will rot quicker. A few coats of epoxy will seal it, but also make it just a bit thicker.

Sorry I haven't posted any updates but here are a few pics of my progress.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 740
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 740
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 740
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 740
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 740
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 740
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 740
  • photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 740
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 740
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 740
All I have left to do is put the front deck in, screw the floors and console down, and attach all the lids/seats/rod box compartments back in. I'm really hoping I can be done by Sunday but if any of that goes like the rest of the boat has went then I will run into several problems making it take 3-4 times longer than I expect it to. I will be posting completed pictures soon as I am done though (hopefully sooner than later, I am ready to go fishing).

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 740
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 740
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 740