2006 G3 1436 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjm76

Reaction score
Hello All. I have been lurking around for awhile now and got some great ideas. Now I have a new (to me) G3 1436 jon boat.....essentially a blank canvas,and I've got to decide what I want to do with it......or maybe more importantly how I want to do it. I'm hoping to get some feedback from some you other guys who have done a 1436. Obviously some of my biggest concerns with a boat this size are weight and stability. I do want some fashion of a front deck on the boat as I have gotten in to spider rigging (slow trolling) for crappie and found that you really want to sit right on top of the rods to get the hook set and for neater storage and battery housing. Probably put some sort of floor in the middle section and then essentially carpet the back to make everything match. I will have the 9.8 in the pic on the boat as well as a trolling motor up front.

Here's some pics of what I've got to start with. (I did however already make a couple of additions before the pics were taken, I installed the stern light fixture andthe port for a bilge pump)

DSCF4454.JPG

DSCF4455.JPG

DSCF4456.JPG

DSCF4457.JPG

She's beautiful! A lot like my LOWE 1436. I have basically the same stern area. But, my mid bench seat is simply full of floatation and I don't have a seat mount there like yours.

Let us know what you think you can do with it and what your main purpose for the boat is: Fishing, hunting, multi, etc.?

But, overall, I would LOVE to be able to start there, but I got mine with some stuff already there and I am gonna keep most of it.

Good luck and keep us all posted!

Talons

She'll be a multi purpose boat. 80% fishing but will see enough duck swamps that I probably shouldn't put red carpet in it. My seats are all full of flotation as well. The one thing that frustrates me about the back area is that it was apparently designed for a six gallon tank and I already have a 3, so I'll have to do some kind of minor modification to get it to sit even back there. A few years ago I would've just bought a six and kept the 3 as back up, but they seem to have got outrageous in price since they started all that EPA stuff, so I'll make due with what I've got.

I am excited to start with essentially a blank slate. I was lucky to find that in a used boat.

Depending on the space for the gas tank, I would think about a forward mount (which I am doing) or simply get the 9 gallon Moeller that should fit back there in that square area. MEASURE it and then look online. Don't limit yourself to portables. Look at above deck and semi-permanent as well.

You will find something. Most Duck hunters want a 12 gallon tank. Not sure why.

Talons

I'll have to check into other options. I never thought a whole lot about it until you mentioned it. With the 9.8 the 3 gallon tank will last a LONG time. 12 gallons would probably last me a whole year, and with the ethanol mixtures we've got around here, I'm not sure that would be a good thing. I had to have a carbeurator worked on twice last summer and would like to keep that at a minimum.

Nice rig. For your front deck, I'd consider something low, maybe coming off the bottom of the front bench.

Ictalurus said:
Nice rig. For your front deck, I'd consider something low, maybe coming off the bottom of the front bench.

That is one thought that I was having. Essentially even with the edge of the current front deck over the seat. I'm also kicking around the idea of only making the front deck extend out about 1/2 way into the section between the middle seat and the deck and maintaining the seat on the middle bench seat. That's going to be the hardest thing for me on this project......deciding what I want to do!

OK guys I've been trying to do some searching on here about floors. I see alot of guys putting, insulation type foam under the plywood and the reasoning seems to be to add flotation and dampen noise......both sound good to me. I also see guys posting that the insulation type foam soaks up water and doesn't hold up well, so use HD foam sheets. If you've tried either of these give me your input, especially on how it holds up over time.

I will be using styrofoam. They sell it at home depot. It is longer than the width of my boat. It 3/4 inch thick, which means I need to double them up, but that is actually good news, because the styrofoam can be made to conform to anything that runs between the two sheets. And the width is the exact same size as the distance between the ribs.

AND it's waterproof and does not rot.

Talons

Talons said:
I will be using styrofoam. They sell it at home depot. It is longer than the width of my boat. It 3/4 inch thick, which means I need to double them up, but that is actually good news, because the styrofoam can be made to conform to anything that runs between the two sheets. And the width is the exact same size as the distance between the ribs.

AND it's waterproof and does not rot.

Talons

Do you the r board insulation sheets or sheets of styrofoam (like a cooler?). I've only seen the insulation type. Granted I haven't looked to hard until I started thinking about boat mods.

It is styrofoam like you find in a cooler, but HD renamed it to some kind of R insulation rated sheet.

It is about, what 5 feet long and 12" wide? comes in various thicknesses. BUT, it _IS_ styrofoam. There are some places that sell this in 4x8 sheets. But, I have not found them.

Talons

mjm76 said:
Do you the r board insulation sheets or sheets of styrofoam (like a cooler?). I've only seen the insulation type. Granted I haven't looked to hard until I started thinking about boat mods.

Get the blue or pink board at Lowes or Home depot, it comes in 4x8 sheets with varying thicknesses (mine was 1/2").

Thanks guys. I know exactly what you are talking about now. I was thinking about measuring out the gaps between the ribs and cutting the foam to fit those, then screwing that to the underside of the floor. Have any of you used 2X2's that run perpendicular to the ribs in the space of the gaps to keep the floor from sliding or do you fasten to the ribs, let 'er free float......

The stuff I have is 48" x 18" (very close to space between ribs) and is called EPS. It is styrofoam.

I am going to lay it down in between the ribs, no fasteners and let the ne floor hold the two layers in place. As a matter of fact I am counting on the styrofoam to provide some load bearing for walking/stepping around in the boat so that I can go down to .063 (1/16) diamond plating for the floor.

So, it depends on what you are planning for the actual flooring.
Talons

Ah.....holes drilled below the waterline! uploadfromtaptalk1347461975283.jpg :shock:

Transducer mount installed with judicious amounts of 5200uploadfromtaptalk1347462096576.jpg

From the inside
uploadfromtaptalk1347462128608.jpg

I made the double ply cutting board mount that had been discussed in other. I made it big enough for two transducers so when I convince my wife that I "need" a side imaging unit I'm ready :cool:

I've been busy getting ready to move, so I've neglected my boat, fishing, hunting (all the important stuff). Downside- I'm going to miss most of the fall fishing. Upside- I'll have a roof over my head and heat to work on the boat over the winter. I have began to acquire some items so I can get rolling after my time commitments subside a little bit. I bought a switch panel and circuit box to start on the wiring. I've also started running some wiring through the ribs etc. Probably the most intriguing find I've made was 4 sheets of 4'x3' diamond plate aluminum that were on the way to the dumpster at work. I think that will make a fine floor, but I've got do some research in terms of what will work best to paint it.....any suggestions?

I am going to use the same, I hope, for my floor. For that stuff, score it with a wire dril brush, don't remove material, you want to remove the shine. Then self-etching primer specifically for aluminum. After that I was planning on using rust oleum spray on truck bed liner in tan.

Let me know.
Talons

I've been slowly acquiring some more supplies for the boat and right now I'm working on the wiring. I installed a 6 bank circuit breaker and I also got a five way switch. I'm definetly going to end up making it alot more complicated than the wiring I did on my last boat, but I think it will end up being for the best. My last boat I basically wired in to one circuit for the trolling motor and 1 for everything else. This should organize a little better and help isolate a problem if it arises.....which I'm sure it will at some point. I'll work on getting some pics and posting them as well.

Also,took the boat out for a spin yesterday. 5200 held up great with the transducer plate.....no leaking at all! She rides pretty good too. We had sustained 15 MPH wind yesterday and although it was a rough ride, I didn't fear for my life like in the 1432!