2009 Minn Kota Power Drive 55

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying that I hate this trolling motor. It is so hard to deploy and return, you practically need to bring along a staff of 2 or 3 gorillas to make it work. It's design is hopelessly off balance, particularly when returning the motor to its cradle. I don't pretend to be the brightest bulb on the tree but probably bright enough to figure out how the dang thing is supposed to work. I got it with my boat. The boat is a 2009 and I assume the trolling motor is the same year. I don't know if any of you out there have the same model but I'd be curious to know what your experience is.

I'm thinking for the above and other reasons to get a different TM. The bow mount isn't really necessary for the kind of fishing I do. I guess those who like to creep along the shoreline or around docks and are constantly moving would prefer to be able to control the motor by foot while they're casting. I mainly use it to move from one spot to another in the little bays where I fish. My style would be more like move to a location, cast 360° and then move to the next location. So for me the constant foot control isn't really important.

I'm thinking of getting a Minn Kota Traxxis #55 transom mount. It's simple with forward and reverse speeds, extension tiller that tilts up 45°. I can deploy and operate it from my seat at the outboard. I'm not much of a fisherman and keeping it simple seems like a good thing to me.

I have a similar 2008 MotorGuide Brut 55 I bought from Cabelas. I understand exactly what you mean by how you deploy or retrieve the motor. It isn't a natural motion like the folding mounts. It is kind of like pulling on something that doesn't really want to slide while twisting the shaft and levering it at the same time. Not exactly an ergonomic design.

I sympathise with your issue....

I have a Power Drive and although I love using it, I understand the grief with deploying and stowing the thing. Now, if you are mechanically inclined, I can tell you how to make it easier to use, but it requires taking the thing apart a bit. You can reduce pressure on the pads to make it much less difficult to deploy. Personally I find a foot control motor to be invaluable for bass fishing. I can work the shoreline without having to take my hands off the rod and reel.

Latest posts