2011 Alumacraft 1442 Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarba11

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been lurking around here for awhile and learning a ton. I sold my Meyer's V bottom, kept the trailer and bought a new 1442 Alumacraft without the center seat. The trailer has seen a complete overhaul (all new nuts and bolts, bunks, brackets, wheels, tires, bearings, spare mount, winch, bow bunk and ladder stabilizer guide-ons almost completed.) So far on the boat I have installed front and rear pedestal mounts and a removable floor. This weekend I plan to mount the cleats, trolling motor bow mount, new winch strap and finish bolting together the guide-ons. Below are some pictures of what I have done so far:

Attachments

• IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 2,277
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    826.2 KB · Views: 2,277
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 2,277
  • IMAG0105.jpg
    IMAG0105.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,277
It's 14ft exact front bow to transom, could be the poor pictures. I'm impressed with how tough this was built and the price tag was right. It's a 2011 leftover that I got for a steal.

elcapitanmas said:
any info on how you did the removable floor? Its the first step in my project.

I took construction paper and taped it together to make a template. Make sure you account for the ribs and all of the contours of the side of the boat so the floor fit flush. I had a piece of 1/4" plywood cut to fit the section. I laid the template on each side of the plywood and followed it with a router. I covered it in carpet and I was done. My ribs are spaced about 12" apart so it is super sturdy, you may need bracing if your ribs are spaced further apart. It lifts out very easily for cleaning and maintenance. I also did the same for the battery compartment behind the rear bench.

**My boat has a slight lip that overhangs on the benches, make sure to account for this otherwise the floor won't drop in.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

florida strain said:
can someone sit up front good and stable on the deck , with the gas motor underway? thanks.

I am setup as electric only right now but I believe pedestal mounts are not rated for anything more than 5mph. It's very stable but I wouldn't sit up there at any significant speeds.

Dbarba11 said:
florida strain said:
can someone sit up front good and stable on the deck , with the gas motor underway? thanks.

I am setup as electric only right now but I believe pedestal mounts are not rated for anything more than 5mph. It's very stable but I wouldn't sit up there at any significant speeds.

+1

made me curious about the 5mph rating.....don't think it has anything to do with torque....it has to do with being elevated and safety....sudden boat stops or hitting a wave wrong, at that height, you're going for a swim. I know guys that mount their pedastals as their only boat seats at floor level and run them with motor no problem.

KevinWI said:
made me curious about the 5mph rating.....don't think it has anything to do with torque....it has to do with being elevated and safety....sudden boat stops or hitting a wave wrong, at that height, you're going for a swim. I know guys that mount their pedastals as their only boat seats at floor level and run them with motor no problem.

Yup, I believe you're right on this. An unexpected trolling motor jerk can send you swimming off these things let alone a gas engine.

KevinWI said:

It's a combo platter the torque plus the elevation makes for a bad day while running at any significant speed (plus the other issues you mentioned sudden stop etc.). If mounted floor level you are correct there should be no problems.

It all boils down to safety

Has anyone built side walls that are removable? I'd like build some out of plywood that I can carpet and quickly remove. Need a place to mount rod racks, net, paddle etc. without drilling into the hull or side ribs.

My decking and flooring are completely removable in my boat. The biggest sits on the boat with its weight and two other big peices are locked in with bolts and nuts.
Just my 2 cents, but you could fit/measure out your walls and attach them to the benches of your boat with a latching or locking feature. Maybe some L brackets attatched to the benches, you then have a removeable bolt(s) for the walls that could be removed. You would have to actually drill into your benches, not sure if you wanted to do that. Just an idea. BTW I don't own the same boat, just thinking how I might do it.

I was pretty close to doing the hinge, locking bracket sidewall thing...but what a PITA to make it work. It may take a few screws to remove, but my sidewall removes so I can take out the floor when needed in back. Front floor comes out no problem.

what kinda weight does a package like this have? the alumacraft website says the 1442 NCS is like 230 lbs....whats the trailer run? trying to see if i could get away towing with a mitsubishi lancer....no far distances....the river is 2 miles from my house

also- was it pretty easy to install the seat mounts? this is stable enough to stand in right?

Mattyf19 said:
what kinda weight does a package like this have? the alumacraft website says the 1442 NCS is like 230 lbs....whats the trailer run? trying to see if i could get away towing with a mitsubishi lancer....no far distances....the river is 2 miles from my house

Not sure what my trailer weighs but it's not heavy by any means. The boat is somewhat heavy but can still be lifted off the trailer by two people. You would have to check the towing capacity of your vehicle. I don't see towing it down the road being a problem at all, I would be most concerned with the ramp condition.

Mattyf19 said:
also- was it pretty easy to install the seat mounts? this is stable enough to stand in right?

I weigh 155 and have no problem standing anywhere in this but I realize I'm pretty light. Installed the mounts using toggle bolt anchors. Measure twice drill once and it's simple.