25 hp Johnson runs while choked and unchoked!?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanbird_87

Reaction score
Hello,
I took my boat out this weekend to test the motors on it. The outboard (1979 25hp Johnson 25r79r) ran Ok as in no bogging out or stalls and a normal rpm...but would not really plane...I decided to pull the choke out on the motor to see if there was a difference...there was and it seemed as if the boat wanted to plane while it was choked...I thought a motor should stall once choked, not run better...any ideas?

sounds like your carb is sucking air somewhere, check the gasket on the fuel bowl. replace it if the gasket or repair it w/ rtv silicone gasket maker

Rule number 1 - Never repair anything on an outboard with RTV. Shadetree at best.
Rule number 2 - When in doubt....refer to Rule number one.

You have made a conflicting statement regarding your engine. Your first statement indicates it ran well and normal RPM but then you contradicted your own statement and said the boat will not plane....which is it?
Try and be more specific and we will be able to help you better.
If the gasket the previous post was referring is the gasket surrounding the high speed nozzle (and its missing) the engine will fall on its face when you try and accelerate. You will need a complete kit to get that gasket.....do it right and do it once!
RTV anywhere on an outboard is bad enough. RTV inside a fuel bowl would break up in a heartbeat and plug up the high speed jet in a nano second!

Ok let me clarify...the boat did not plane when it wasnt choked and stayed at a steady rpm...when i choked the motor the rpms picked up and the boat was able to plane...i pulled the carb off of it today after work and noticed i was missing a gasket that would go between the air silencer and the carburetor...according to a schematic i found online...so im thinking i need to get a gasket to go here...im not gonna use the RTV btw...and the high speed nozzle gasket is still in place

Do the job correctly and do the job once.
Disassemble the carburetor, get a kit for it, thoroughly clean the jets and all passages the jets meter. You are working on a two stroke that depends on fuel and oil to produce power and to stay alive. Restrict that and you will have wished you did the job correctly.

MarineEngine.com sales a rebuild kit for my motor...all parts are included expect for the air silencer gasket, which they sale too...this is the kit I will pruchase to rebuild carb. Hopefully this works

Thanks for the advice everyone...all i needed was a carb rebuild kit and the motor runs correctly now...choked and unchoked! Unfortunatley though, the motor tested fine in the bucket at home when at high and low speeds and when shifting into gear. But when I got it out to the river today I shifted it into forward and broke the pin for the propeller in the prop shaft...I was like unbelievable...anyway i got to replace the pin and should be ready to go...maybe the new power broke the pin... :wink: