25hp 2stroke merc questions?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My top speed is 32 mph & that's with a 13 pitch prop.They make a 15 which would only give me maybe a couple mph more.Mines aluminium also.

You think a 15 pitch would be to much on this motor?Just curious.Wow though 32mph is super fast in a little 14ft jon boat.How many people in the boat and was it loaded down with stuff or just you?
That is going to feel like a speed boat.I got 20mph top speed with my 15hp yamaha but that was me,wife and brother plus all the tackle and coolers.

I really hated to get rid of a brand new motor for a used but i think i got a gem of a motor.I usually keep my motors squeaky clean,i'm very anal about my toys and cars.This merc is in great shape except for a few small things like scratches which is normal,very little if any wear on it.The paint is perfect and the powerhead is really clean.I'm going to be in saltwater with it but i flush all my motors no matter where i go.

Well i'm going fishing sunday so i will let you know how it performs.Thanks for all the info.

scoobeb said:
Just for a tank and line your looking at over $100.The government needs their money.

Scoobeb, just curious, unless your buying your tank at the PX, how is the government going to get money from this?

P.S. Please don't answer w/ an increase in sales tax.

Sorry let me rephrase what i said.The government is causing us to take a ton more money out of out pockets.Maybe the government is not profiting from this directly but their the cause of the increase.The epa has done this.Who are they?part of the government.Their so worried about saving our economy but there is some states that don't even check for emissions in cars.You don't think the government has anything to do with this big go green thing?Think about this you will have to pay close to $100 for a 6 gallon tank and line.That is absouletly in sane. :shock: Who else would have something to do with the crazy prices their asking for a tank and line but the government?

scoobeb said:
Who else would have something to do with the crazy prices their asking for a tank and line but the government?

My guess would be the companies that make the tanks. Anyway, thanks for clarifying. I too, had to buy one of the new tanks last year when I upgraded to a six gallon. I'm wondering if the ethanol addition to gasoline caused the change in regulation, as I've heard several issues of ethanol eating through plastic that was original intended to hold straight gasoline.

Edited to say the the agricultural industry lobbied very hard to make the ethanol regulations, I've also heard there trying to increase the ethanol content to 15% now.

From what i understand some states have E15 already.I use ethanol free gas thank God for that.It's a hair over $4 a gallon but well worth not having ethanol probs.I mean at 6 gallons i'm paying $24 but at least i know my engine will run tip top.I use yamaha decarb treatment and a stabilizer in every tank full i get.I try to give my engines the best of everything like oil also.I use amsoil in my motors as well as my cars.It burns a ton cleaner in my outboard and almost,i mean darn near no smoke out of a 2 stroke outboard.

When i first got this merc i'm running now she had one heck of a carbon buildup going.I have ran one tank full of gas the way i treat it and it runs 100% better then when i first got it.E10 won't hurt an outboard as long as it's used asap and doesn't sit for weeks at a time.If you have to use E10 gas just make sure your tank is topped off if you plan on letting it sit because of course ethanol draws moisture and settles to the bottom of the tank which the hose that sucks up gas from a gas tank will just draw nothing but water.The main thing you need on darn near any boat is a fuel/water seperator.The filter will do wonders for ethanol gas that sits for a while.It's a heck of alot easier to replace a new filter then a new powerhead.

if yours is anything like my '96 25hp merc it is a screamer! I love mine. My dad bought it new in '96 and from 1999-2008 it sat inside his house. I havent ever checked compression on it but its got to be good because it runs great.

Sweet gotmuddy.I can't wait to get her on the water.I have one more night of work and then i will complete all what i need to do with my boat and then by mon or tues i am going to take it out myself and then with my family to see what type of speed difference i get.

How fast does your 1648 alumacraft go with that 25hp 2stroke merc?It looks like your getting it in the you tube clip.Heck of a nice build you got there.That is one thing nice about a bigger boat it gives you a heck of alot more room to build on.

I have a '98 merc 2 stroke on a dmi 1648, and a gps speed of 26mph with two good sized adults. No tweaking to the motor height yet.

The pee hole only dribles until the thermostat opens. I too, don't like that. I am not a big fan of the shift in the throttle, either.

I am not sure why you want to run a .045 gap if it calls for 0.040 one. With age, it might start missfiring before one that is gapped correctly.

Another vote to stay with the 13P alum prop until you know (tach) you are over-reving it.

That is what i have on the motor is a brand new 13pitch.I was just asking what the person thought of a 15pitch.I have seen one ran on you tube with a 15pitch and it didn't seem like they gained a whole lot of mph compared to a 13pitch.Also i have asked my marina i have gone to for many yrs about the gap in the spark plugs and they said it won't affect a thing.

It runs like a top no miss fires of any sought.The marina i go to said the difference between a .045 and a .040 is so minimal that it won't run any different and they are 100%correct.The biggest thing it needs is to be ran hard for a while to clean the whole system out of the oil and fuel it has had in it for a while.Some good 50:1 amsoil,yamaha decarbon treatment,new ethanol free fuel, a good fuel/water seperator,and a really good fuel stabilizer and she will run like brand new.The exhaust is pretty dirty so it needs some good oil and a good hard run which is what i'm going to do here soon.

I know these motors will last a lifetime as long as it is taken care of like i do.It is a very clean motor from top to bottom.I sure wish i would of bought it when it was brand new but for the money i paid it should last a long time.

For some odd reason it goes bad with this motor and i want a cleaner motor i will get the new 25hp etec or a 25hp 4stroke suzuki.They seem like state of the art motors.I really like the 4stroke suzuki with the v twin setup.They seem to have a ton of power.Now from watching a ton of videos on you tube the etec and suzuki 25 seem to have close to equal power unless i'm missing something.They are near the same price and run clean.The etec is def the state of the art motor though.The nice thing about the suzuki is you only have to change the oil once a yr.

For some odd reason it goes bad with this motor and i want a cleaner motor i will get the new 25hp etec or a 25hp 4stroke suzuki.They seem like state of the art motors.I really like the 4stroke suzuki with the v twin setup.They seem to have a ton of power.Now from watching a ton of videos on you tube the etec and suzuki 25 seem to have close to equal power unless i'm missing something.They are near the same price and run clean.The etec is def the state of the art motor though.The nice thing about the suzuki is you only have to change the oil once a yr.

But have you seen what they weight,168# you can get a 50hp Merc for 30 more #s. :lol: Plus more electronic stuff to go wrong. #-o
I like keep it simple. =D>

OK, I was wondering if you thought there was some benefit. I generally run the mfg spec unless I've purposly made a change. A wider gap will slightly delay electrical timing, but not enough so you could detect it. Maybe you don't want to take the chance and crack the insolator by regapping them? Was just wondering.

No i did one plug by mistake with a plug gaper so i just did the other the same.Now your making me nervous.Maybe i will just buy 2 more and install them today,it's only a few bucks.

The 25 etec is only 146lbs crazymanme2 which is like 32lbs heavier then the merc.Yea it is a difference but it will do the job if needed.Of course if this merc holds up i would rather have this for 20yrs then any new stuff from today,not that it's bad but as you pointed out more to go wrong.This is a simple motor and only so many things can go wrong.I was also just putting that out there just in case the merc would go bad.I have 100% confidence as soon as i start getting this motor running it will be perfect.I know it has sit for a while so like i said the insides of this motor need some good oil and fuel as well as some good hard runs to get the motor to tip top shape.

I am installing the water/fuel seperator as soon as this rain stops.It's been raining for days and i can't seem to get a chance to get it on the boat.

Nothing to be nervous over. You could just regap. If you haven't did the decarb yet, do it after. If there is allot of carbon, I usually change and put new plugs in.

Well i just went out and bought 2 new plugs and just regapped the other ones as i'm gonna use them as spares.After i'm done getting this motor going it will sing tunes to me because of how clean the fuel,oil and the tuneup i gave her.I use the yamaha decarb treatment and also by using the full synthetic oil plus ethanol free fuel i don't think the fuel/oil treatment can get any better.

It will def be running clean as can be unless i go to a leaner oil ratio which i won't.The one thing that has gotten m for yrs and i'm not trying to start a war of any sought is why all yamaha 2strokes can go on a 100:1 oil ratio but all the other motors say 50:1.I know it has nothing to do with the epa emissions because yamaha has been doing this for i mean many yrs since i was a young kid with no issues what so ever.I can't belive for one minute a merc or johnson etc... motor could be made out of any different materials then a yamaha motor is,you follow me.Now i do know many people especially when i read from this forum and many more run all types of outboards with a 100:1 oil ratio and have never had problems for as long as they owned their outboards.

Maybe these motors are called for a 100:1 oil ratio when constantly being used as long as they don't sit as that has been the debate for yrs especially with johnson/evinrude.I bet since a few here and there went bad on a 100:1 oil ratio the outboard makers changed the ratio to a 50:1 ratio to cover their behinds just in case people decided if they didn't want to use them for a long period of time they had all that extra oil as in this case double from a 100:1 to a 50:1 to lubricate the parts better when it came time to go again.

Just mo,i belive any outboard can run on a 100:1 oil ratio if used all the time with good oil also.I have read a ton of people who go either way,50:1 or 100:1 with the same results,well except with a i100:1 it tends to run a bit smoother,cleaner,less carbon builup,almost no smoke but then i guess less protection for the motor.It just peaks my interest.I know i have talked about this before but i don't think we will ever get that hard core fact on why people do and don't.I have 3 books on mercs and funny enough 2 say run it on a 100:1 and one says 50:1 so it had to be safe at one time or another.Any comments or thoughts on this crazymanme or anyone for the heck of it?I have looked up on the internet(25hp 2stroke merc on a 100:1 oil ratio)there is ton of people who do it with great results that is why i don't understand the big controversy.I would like to run mine at a 75:1 which would be right in the middle,can't loose on that one i guess.It runs so rough at a 50:1 oil ratio.

I'm just stating what works for me. =D>

I used to race this same power head & ran 11 oz. to 1 gal.My motor was set up to run 8100 rpm's.That's what you ran pretty much the whole race.Motor was torn down at the end of every season & checked.Ran same motor for 3 years other than re-ringing at end of year for max performance.

My fishin motor is also the same like block which I run 50:1 when I'm going to do alot of trolling with no problems with idle.In fact a buddy of mine has a Honda 4 stroke & with me sitting next to him with both motors idling they're about the same in noise.But when I know I'm going to do alot of running & not much idling I run 40:1.I also have my motor tweaked a little. :lol: I'm running about 7000 rpm's wot.(just a small timing adjustment which is just at wot)I could set a dime on mine at idle.

There is no harm in running 50:1.A little more oil is cheaper than a new block. #-o

Each to his own,do what works for you. [-o<

crazymanme2 said:
I'm running about 7000 rpm's wot.(just a small timing adjustment which is just at wot)I could set a dime on mine at idle.

I haven't explored mods to the 25hp merc yet, and would be interested to hear more details on what you did.