25hp on 14 foot jonboat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefire05

Reaction score
I have a 14 foot riveted jonboat max hp is 15 i have a 15 on it right now with me and my gear i am running 19-20mph on gps, what do you guys think about putting a 20-25 hp on it? I really found a deal on a 25 but i dont want to mess the boat up. any one ever ran a 25 on a jon boat rated for a 15? Thanks

that thing would fly. if you were to do it id make sure and reinforce the transom really well (take it to a welding shop). if i got a deal on a 25 i'd be all over it in my 12'r . just be carefull, people get themselves killed doin stuff like that.

i knew a guy that mounted a 18hp rotary motor off a snow mobile on a lower unit (those motors are stout), and soon as he punched it, it threw him out of the back and nearly ran him over as it did circles. the next day he took the motor apart and gave it away

:WELCOME: As far as I can tell, it's illegal in every state to exceed the capacity posted on a boat. Some states enforce it and others seem to turn a blind eye to it. With that being said first, I have a 1448 with a 4stroke 25hp tiller and it does pretty good. It will cut you for a flip if you are not careful. I have a friend who has the same exact boat as mine with a 50hp console (it's truely scary fast). Our boats are Alweld commercial boats and there isn't any restrictions on them. I would check on the restrictions in your area. Where are you from?

I am from GA thank for the replies, I didnt think it would hurt the boat but one more ? I have a friend what a all welded 16 ft lowe it rated for a 40hp what would be the biggest jet drive you would put on the boat the bigger the better.................

stevefire05 said:
I am from GA thank for the replies, I didnt think it would hurt the boat but one more ? I have a friend what a all welded 16 ft lowe it rated for a 40hp what would be the biggest jet drive you would put on the boat the bigger the better.................

I agree with going with the max hp possible. Bassboy can help you better than I on a jet drive. Jet drives are rated different from propped outboards. I had a bayboat rated at 175hp and we stuck a 225hp on it with 175 stickers on the cowl. Just don't forget that you are doing this at your own risk...

When I replaced my transom on my 14'x36" Jon boat I added a 1"x6"x48" oak board so that I could move up to a bigger motor.
I ended up getting a 1986 25hp Mariner. I also put a 12 gallon fuel tank up front for better balance and range.

A 25 hp on a little narrow 1436 jon boat is just asking for trouble. To much HP for that small & narrow of a boat.
A 1448 that is rated for a 25 can handle it fine.

....and to think....my 1448 semi-V is rated for a 45 :shock:

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 9,354
  • serial plate.jpg
    serial plate.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 9,354
CarlF said:
That boat would be scary fast with a 45! Is that the tiller or remote rating????

Tiller as far as I know.

I think I'd be scared to put that big of a motor on it. My 15hp Mariner seems to be running really well the past few times out, but I'll probably replace it for next season so I can have a little more speed. It is just too slow for me. I can't see myself getting any more than a 30 or 35 though. I bet even one of those would push it to 30 mph, even with a deck in it.

All I know is what the tag says, though. I'm relatively new to these smaller boats and this is the first one I own. I do know that I stripped four different states of license numbers off the hull when I was prepping for paint. Who knows what the other owners have done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cv4XwcPuuw&feature=related
Part One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ojb0043OCY&feature=related
PART tWO

I mean if it already goes 20, how fast do you need to go man ? lol
I got a 25 on my 1460 Jon and its 'ok'. Its only rated for 25, but I do have a 35 :D , but its a long shaft :cry: , so I will stick to my 25..
If you have already modded the boat with decks and such, it may not be as big a wheelie machine as some may think, but too much speed and a tite turn from a branch or debris, may roll it.. so be careful man..

Wow a 45 on a 14' V ? Yesssssssssss..
That would roooost man... and I love the "remote" quote..lol

stinkynathan said:
:shock: Wow that would haul!!
My 16' Lowe basscatcher pro is rated for a 70 I believe,I have a 40hp on mine and it hits 35 easy! :twisted:

geordybass said:
stinkynathan said:
:shock: Wow that would haul!!
My 16' Lowe basscatcher pro is rated for a 70 I believe,I have a 40hp on mine and it hits 35 easy! :twisted:

Now if only I knew someone that had a short shaft 45 for me to borrow. I'm willing to try about anything once! :twisted:

Of course, I don't think I've ever seen a short shaft engine above about 30 hp.....

deck the boat, build up the transom, bigger motor, rods, reels, lures, ..., ..., ...... my fiancee is going to kill me after we're married when she finds out what I'm spending money on.

Specknreds said:
As far as I can tell, it's illegal in every state to exceed the capacity posted on a boat.

I am not aware of any law in KY that specifically addresses this. I just checked the current boating guide that pretty well spells out everything and saw no mention of it there, either.

In the case of a boating accident, having a motor above the rating may have some consequence with the law and insurance.

I wish that I had a 25 for my 14' boat. The 18 that is on it now just doesn't have enough oomph when loaded.

The one in my sig has plenty. :mrgreen:

Quackrstackr said:
Specknreds said:
As far as I can tell, it's illegal in every state to exceed the capacity posted on a boat.

I am not aware of any law in KY that specifically addresses this. I just checked the current boating guide that pretty well spells out everything and saw no mention of it there, either.

In the case of a boating accident, having a motor above the rating may have some consequence with the law and insurance.

I wish that I had a 25 for my 14' boat. The 18 that is on it now just doesn't have enough oomph when loaded.

The one in my sig has plenty. :mrgreen:

I did some research and it is a Federal Law that you can not exceed the max HP https://www.nasbla.net/pdf/Model%20Acts/new/Loading%20and%20Capacity%20Compliance%2092105.pdf
I also called a Federal WL&F agent that I know. It seems that it's mainly left to the states to enforce it on inland lakes and rivers. Some do and some don't. We get checked frequently by state WL&F, Federal WL&F (I do not think that you have to worry about Fed's in inland states), and Coast Guard, but this is due to me being in a coastal/high traffic area. The Fed's and Coast Guard will ticket for exceeding a capacity plate in any way. The agent said that the only tickets that he has ever written for this was when it was associated with and accident, BUI (DUI), or wreckless operation.

They have jon boat races here on the Pearl River and I promise you that they exceed the capacity. They have some 12'ers that run 60MPH +.

I guess all I was saying was be careful.

I may be mistaken but I do not think that NASBLA has any governing powers, especially the ability to write federal law.