3 Man Bass Boat. Done and on the water!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waterwings said:
That's dang nice work! Have you already run the wiring for tm's, etc?

You do realize that the "Marine Durability" means you can give the can to a Marine and they won't break it right away...........................................j/k MARINE0341 ! :wink: . That Cabot's is supposed to be some good stuff!

The pre-wiring was done (i'll get a pic to post) It all goes from the battery in the rear to a juntion box in the front. My father brought home a junction box that was "laying around work". Wait till you see this thing! We did some work today (yard work couldn't wait), but plan on gettign the carpet started tommorow.

Tom,
What did you guys get done today?

Not sure what I've got going on tomorrow....wife seems to be planning my weekends now. Let me know....if it's early enough I'll be able to come by for a little while and help you out.

T

Your boat looks good. You guys should have just started with a pontoon boat. :lol:

Will this boat be sitting out in the weather or kept in dry storage? The reason I ask, that watersealer may say that it lasts 10 years but it usually lasts about 1/3 it's advertised length of time. Carpeted wood doesn't last nearly as long when repeatedly exposed to water, either. The carpet holds the water next to the wood and really speeds up the rotting process.

Quackrstackr said:
Your boat looks good. You guys should have just started with a pontoon boat. :lol:

Will this boat be sitting out in the weather or kept in dry storage? The reason I ask, that watersealer may say that it lasts 10 years but it usually lasts about 1/3 it's advertised length of time. Carpeted wood doesn't last nearly as long when repeatedly exposed to water, either. The carpet holds the water next to the wood and really speeds up the rotting process.

The "carrier" will go on the water in the Spring and not come out until the Fall. As far as the sealer, who knows how long they will really last in different climates. We only used the deck sealer on the framing, so it's not like it's sitting in water or holding water. The deck was sealed with the Cabot marine grade sealer. We are also going to use the Lowes outdoor, rubber backed carpet so the water should run off into the rear for the pump. We hope it will last. On the other hand, it's been a great project. So if we have to do it again in 8 years, we won't be devastaded. [-o<

We've hit a delay due to bad weather, so we've been doing some shopping. Seats are expensive! When you add the seat, the pedestal, the swivel and the hardware, you're looking at $100.00+ ! What do ya' think of these seats?

By the way, we picked up a HumminBird 300TX fishfinder (the tri-beam) on Craigslist for $60.00 with all the necessary hardware. =D>

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,558
trerick said:
Sweet deal on the fishfinder.
It's really coming along. question about the framing, are those brackets like one's from Home Depot?

We had to buy the 2X2 brackets @ Home Depot, and then go to Lowes to get the 2X2 boards. (Lowes didn't carry the brackets, and Home depot didn't carry the boards...Makes sense right?) We're stuck right now because according to the carpet glue, it needs to be 65 degrees + to apply and you need 5 days of dry weather for it to set right. That puts our launch date into August I think. #-o

We got 'er done! I have about 25 pics to follow.

I wanted to explain how we cut the deck. We debated it, so I assume others may have the same question. The boat is 6'3" across the top (measuring from the top rail). We bought 3 pieces of plywood for the job (4'X8'). We layed 2 down lengthwise and had them overlap in the middle of the boat while still hanging over the outside edge. We then traced the line/curve of the boat with a pencil. After cutting the curve of the boat, we layed the plywood back down over our framing, again overlaping them in the middle. We made a chalk line, cut it, and placed it back in. We simply repeated the steps with the other 4'X8'. We then had our deck plywood cut in the perfect shape, and split perfectly wide enough.

Capet: We bought the carpet @ Lowes. Home Depot had the same carpet, but only in 12' wide rolls; Lowes had it in 6' wide. The sign at Lowes said it was OE boat capret, and you can see in the pic it has a rubber backing.

Attachments

• 100_1901.jpg
    100_1901.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,333
We started by rolling the carpet and centering it in the boat. We then stapled it on the rear edge to make sure it would stay straight. Next, we trimmed the front point and then rolled the carpet back up to the rear. Then, we rolled it out again, spreading the glue and stretching it into place as we went forward. As you can see, it was done in 1 piece.

Attachments

• 100_1895.jpg
    100_1895.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,335
We then cut out the doors and folded them under the deck and stapled them into place. (We let the glue dry for over 70 minutes first per the instructions on the glue [which we also bought at Lowes]).

Attachments

• 100_1898.jpg
    100_1898.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 100_1897.jpg
    100_1897.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,322
There is a "lip" around the perimitter of the boat. We amazingly did a perfect job getting the framing height and the plywood deck cut and set perfectly enough to tuck the carpet in/under so we have a nice finished look.

Attachments

• 100_1904.jpg
    100_1904.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 100_1903.jpg
    100_1903.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,314
Remember the electrical box that was "found/donated" from my father's shop....here it is. A little bit of overkill? We didn't use it.

Attachments

• 100_1907.jpg
    100_1907.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,329
Pic of the doors framed to make sure they can hold our fat.

Attachments

• 100_1909.jpg
    100_1909.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,325
Ok...We are on a tight budget. I mentioned in a previous post that seats are rediculously expensive! Remember our bar stool idea?

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,329

Latest posts