3 pin Sterns pole light and base

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artsmag10

Reaction score
Here's my question:
I bought a 3 pin stern light and three pin pole light base from Walmart (convenient).

The pole light base has 3 wires:
a black wire which goes back to the battery ground (no problem).
a gray wire which goes to the switch ( will assume this is the positive/hot wire).

Here's the problem:

there's also a blue wire. The directions read: "connect the bluw wire to the wire from the switch for the courtesy light. Use a wire connector to make the connection."

From my gang switch, I ran only the red "hot" wire-- to the pole light base. Ran a black ground wire from the battery.

What do do with the blue wire?

If I run another wire from the conrol panel, to what is it connected because I don't have any courtesy lights.

I connected just the black and blue wires, negative and hot/power -- no light.

Can I connect the gray and blue wires to the red "hot" wire?

Want to ask before trying.

Hate to make another trip to the store in order to purchase a 2 pin base and pole.

"connect the bluw wire to the wire from the switch for the courtesy light. Use a wire connector to make the connection."

I might be wrong but I read it to mean that you wire it to be hot the same as the other light. Is there a switch on the light itself to control the "courtesy" light?

You require a 3 position switch.

If you are anchored, you have to have your courtesy light turned on but not your bow light... at least that is the law here.

DOH! I'm a Homer, I missed the stern part. I was thinking of the bow light with the light that shines down towards the deck for convenience.