4 Motor Pallet Storage Rack

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kofkorn

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I needed to get my truck into the garage this weekend to do some work, but I found I had too much space taken up with motors on separate stands. I've been kicking around in my head a way to get four motors on a pallet, letting me move them around easily with my pallet jack, and I finally had the motivation to do it.

I started with a nice heavy oak pallet. The load from the motors is concentrated on the three pallet beams, but when lifting with a jack, you're lifting in between the beams, and the contact points generate some pretty high forces.

I used an 11 degree angle for each of the vertical posts. I originally based the design on my 70 hp motors which I figured would have been larger than the two cylinder 40's or 50's. However, while smaller, the nose of the 2 cyl's sticks out farther than the triples. This rack won't be able to accommodate two 50's across from each other. I would need to move the verticals at least another 3" apart. There were no design plans, just started putting things together as I went.

With 2x4 posts and plywood braces on the sides, and an additional 2x4 brace in the middle, the stand is very sturdy. There isn't any side-to-side movement and the whole thing stands up really well. This was made up of mostly extra pieces of wood and plywood I had around. I did buy new 2x4's for the posts which ran me about $10. I added the piece of luan underneath first to prevent any small parts or screws from falling between the pallet slats, but it isn't necessary.

It makes a great storage stand and allows me to move all four motors to an outside shed using our tractor with forks attached. I will strap the motors together before moving that way though.

Two of the motors on the rack are for my boats, the '92 60 hp and the '82 70. The others are in the process of being repaired for sale.

20151114_095700-a.jpg20151114_095739-a.jpg
20151114_095641-a.jpg20151114_095715-a.jpg
20151114_095635-a.jpg

Very nice.

I'm using an old 10 cu. ft. chest freezer to hold four motors. The top is removed of course. Assorted parts get tossed in the middle.

Thanks guys. This will hopefully help solve a space issue that I keep running into. I seem to have a problem passing up the numerous Craigslist deals that I come across. So many awesome prices at the end of the season that need to just be cleaned up, tuned up, and sold in the spring. Unfortunately, it means that I run out of room quickly. My current inventory is 1 - 88hp, 2 - 70 hp, 1 - 60 hp, 2 - 50 hp, 1 - 15 hp, 2 - 9.9hp, 1 - 4.5hp. All are JohnnyRudes. I've promised the wife that I won't buy any more until I sell some. I've already passed up on a couple of $60-$75 motors that had me twitching.... :)

DaleH said:
Now all you need to do is find me a nice 60hp ...

The 60's are pretty hard to come by. If I'd been smart, I would have kept one of the first motors I bought. I paid $100 for an '85 Evinrude 50 hp which could have been upgraded to a 60hp with a different head (on ebay for $65). After cleaning it up, the motor ran perfectly, but it didn't have power trim. I decided to sell it and keep looking. It took me two more years to come across another deal.

The "55" hp in the picture is actually an '86 50hp with a different hood. I'm hopeful to have it up for sale this spring, but I've also got an additional '88 50hp on my tracker now that is going up for sale too. That one runs great and I used it all year long.
Screenshot_2015-11-17-09-11-05.pngScreenshot_2015-11-17-09-11-21.png

So we moved the motors into the shed today. The pallet stand worked perfectly. So much easier than trying to drag a stand with casters across the lawn.

dcaf27660884ff72f3f3bbdda851e139.jpg

Latest posts