$4000

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
airsickness said:
Lets say your brother in law is finally paying you back the $4000 he borrowed 3 years ago. ($4000 that you thought you would never see again). I have a 14ft Smoker craft v-hull. I want a 25hp motor. Electric start two stroke. What would be your first choice.
Kenny
seeing that you are here in this area i would be looking for a 20 hp not a 25 i hear they are cracking down on motor size at the nock..

With the funds I am willing to use I may be in the 9.9 to 15hp range. I saw a couple on craigslist for around $750 to $1000.
Saw a real nice Mercury 7.5hp 2 stroke for $600 but I am afraid it may be a bit under powered for my boat.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/3597492288.html

You can buy a brand new 25hp etec for that price, catch the right promotion and you might get an extended warranty free (5 years compared to 3), I believe right now they are having a free rigging program. You could pick up a new old stock and save even more money, My motor was less than 4000 with electric start power trim, Love it to death, sips gas quiet doesnt smoke and is powerful.

Well if I had the $4000 grand to spend on a motor and was looking in the 25hp range I would not hesitate to get and ETEC...even used. That being said I saw your last post where you hadn't been paid and you were looking at a merc 7.5hp mid 80's....... DO NOT BUY that motor at that price for your 14ft boat. Will be way underpowered. For under a grand you can pick up a 80's-90's 25hp or 30hp johnson/ evinrude. Absolutely rock solid motors, easy to get parts for and easy to work on. Check for good compression and the rest is cake. I advise you to get no less than a 20hp for your boat or you will regret it.

Well I pulled the trigger on a 2011 Mercury 20hp. Pristine condition. started on the 3rd or 4th pull. Cold.
Idled great. Warranty till 2016.
$2300 bucks with tank and extra parts.

Attachments

• merc 20.jpg
    merc 20.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 303
airsickness said:
Well I pulled the trigger on a 2011 Mercury 20hp. Pristine condition. started on the 3rd or 4th pull. Cold.
Idled great. Warranty till 2016.
$2300 bucks with tank and extra parts.

Once you go black you'll never go back !!!!!