4amp bilge 3amp switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstallings

Reaction score
I just realized that my bilge pump requires a 4amp fuse, but my switch is only rated for 3amps. The bilge is the last thing I want to mess up when I need it. I assume I need to replace with a larger capacity switch?

Thanks

your switch should be rated to operate at 3 amps, the bilge should draw 3 amps, if you put a 3 amp fuse in it would blow everytime the bilge came on, the 1 amp is for this reason.

Me neither. If the pump is stated to draw three amps, then the wire should be sized to handle 5 amps of current to prevent overheating of the wire and protected accordingly with a five amp fuse. The last bilge pump I installed called for a 5A fuse. You can't go with smaller wire, but you can go larger as long as it isn't over-fused. Actually, slightly larger wire would be better because it would handle the same current more efficiently with less heat and voltage drop to the pump.

were not talking wire, were talking switch. switch is rated at 3 amps, Im guessing the bilge draws 3 amps, no reason the switch will not work, you cant fuse it 3 amps, cause it will blow every time.