70 Hp mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillD.

Reaction score
I have a 70 Hp mercury having problems with starting it won't start normal but I open cover and play with throttle linkage to open throttle plates in carbs it will fire up idols fine !! Could anyone give my suggestions what problem could be ?? Thanks Bill

Wow, join the club. I too have a 95 mercury force 70 hp. I just dropped mine off at the sh sun. For the same problem.....would not start cold. Had to take the cover off and play with the butterfly to get it to crank.my worry is I'll be on the water, and have to do that.So stay tuned when he tells me what's wrong with mine I'll pass it along.

Hi, well like I said before as soon as I got my boat back I would let you know what my starting problem was, the choke switch was no good. Had to replace it, now it starts fine. So you mite want to look into that.

Yes, that is the choke switch and depending on design/motor, you could also have a solenoid in the motor that activates the choke butterfly and it could have gone bad.

I have a 1997 60hp and the choke switch went bad on it the first year I had it. The motor was only a couple months old when it went bad. Nothing more embarrassing than to have a brand new boat and motor sitting at the boat ramp and it won't start :roll:

Thanks for the help guys got switch insult today 10 minute install fired right up !!!!

Latest posts