87 Bass Tracker MV 16 rebuild and upgrade.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to go ahead with nonskid bedliner coating on the decks. Also going to add a rod locker and more dry storage amidships. Aluminum angle for framing should be here Tuesday, gotta go find some Tuffboxes soon.

Working long hours this week so not able to get off before the supply house closes. Will have to wait till thursday to get the aluminum channel and the brazing rods.

Got my aluminum angle iron and brazing rods yesterday after work. Hope to have enough decent weather to get the transom back together and ready for welding by Monday.

I am replacing the transom on my 18 foot Alumacraft. I highly recommend you inspect yours for rot. Mine looked good until I removed the foam that trapped water against the wood.
I laminated 2, 1/2 inch pieces of Acuaplas III. Its very easy to work with and very durable. It cost $125 plus a few bucks for shipping. Boat Builder Central cut the sheet so it would ship UPS at no additional cost. It seems a little more flexible than the 1 inch plywood I removed so I'm going to add a piece of 3 inch L angle aluminum the with of the transom for additional strengthening.
https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetail.php?prod=AP3

CaptainPJ said:
I am replacing the transom on my 18 foot Alumacraft. I highly recommend you inspect yours for rot. Mine looked good until I removed the foam that trapped water against the wood.
I laminated 2, 1/2 inch pieces of Acuaplas III. Its very easy to work with and very durable. It cost $125 plus a few bucks for shipping. Boat Builder Central cut the sheet so it would ship UPS at no additional cost. It seems a little more flexible than the 1 inch plywood I removed so I'm going to add a piece of 3 inch L angle aluminum the with of the transom for additional strengthening.
https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetail.php?prod=AP3
Did you miss a page? Skim the thread? Or only read the first post? Hahaha. Just jerkin yer chain. But seriously there are even pics of the new transom, the stripped hull, ect. In other words once I get back from Texarcana tomorrow I will be repairing the pitted transom plate so I can bolt in the new wood. Stay tuned.

Ordered a new graph for the boat yesterday. Should be here Monday. Its used but supposed to be in perfect shape. Humminbird Helix 5 Chirp SI GPS. Got it at a good price shipped so went for it. Just easier to install the transducer before I button up the rear deck.

After seeing the cost of all true stainless hardware I decided to go back to factory and use aluminum solid rivits. Did my research. Ordered the rivits from mcmaster carr along with the air hammer bit to set em with. Decided to just drill out the worst of the pits to stop the corosion and rivit the holes closed as I dont fully trust this aluminum bazing rod I was sold. Stay tuned.

rcaircraftnut said:
After seeing the cost of all true stainless hardware I decided to go back to factory and use aluminum solid rivits. Did my research. Ordered the rivits from mcmaster carr along with the air hammer bit to set em with. Decided to just drill out the worst of the pits to stop the corosion and rivit the holes closed as I dont fully trust this aluminum bazing rod I was sold. Stay tuned.

My local ACE hardware has a pretty good selection of SS fasteners. It sure doesn't take long for the prices to add up. I don't blame you for going with rivets.

Started cleaning and prepping all the parts to paint and to reassemble the transom and splashwell. As well as the parts that had carpet on them.

Great updates, started taking apart my first one, finding many of the same issues you are. Searching around looks like carpeting is more popular than non-skid. My preference is for non-skid. Seems that it would be more durable and less maintenance than carpet. I want to be able to rinse everything down and not worry about carpet drying out. Another option that is becoming popular is the SeaDek mat.

Im so excited. New toys for the boat. Hehehehehe. Like the Micky Ds add says, Im luvin it!

Attachments

• 15517383560991381792522.jpg
    15517383560991381792522.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 1551738403906-1800166415.jpg
    1551738403906-1800166415.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,160
Cant spell today haha. Tedious part. Cleaning and prepping all this stuff. Fun. Lol.
Whoever eventually buys this boat next spring, Im going to fish it this year, hopefully in local tournaments, is going to get a really great lifetime use boat. I am not going to stop now. No no, been looking at hatch latches and gas rams to match. As well as insulating the livewell and chiller boxes. Plan to use pikecrete in blocks in the chiller box. Will last all weekend let alone all day. Google it if your not familar. I cant believe nobody has done this before. I just gotta try it out.

Attachments

• 15517386349021655330291.jpg
    15517386349021655330291.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 1551738676242-206376474.jpg
    1551738676242-206376474.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,157
Well after dealing with this pile I know I wont want to EVER put carpet in a boat lol. Removing this junk and all the old glue is sooooo time consuming grrrrrr. Neesed a short break. Got 3 parts done and one more about half done. Still have a couple on the boat itself to do also. Man I just keep finding MORE haha.

Buy a gallon of acetone. pour enough on the carpet to wet the adhesive and in a minute or two it will just slide off. Do this outdoors. Acetone is not good for you.

rcaircraftnut said:
Well after dealing with this pile I know I wont want to EVER put carpet in a boat lol. Removing this junk and all the old glue is sooooo time consuming grrrrrr. Neesed a short break. Got 3 parts done and one more about half done. Still have a couple on the boat itself to do also. Man I just keep finding MORE haha.
I used adhesive remover and it melted all the carpet glue off like butter.

maintenanceguy said:
Buy a gallon of acetone. pour enough on the carpet to wet the adhesive and in a minute or two it will just slide off. Do this outdoors. Acetone is not good for you.
Carpet comes off real easy. Its getting the glue off the parts afterwards lol. Will try the acetone tonite as I have some.

Latest posts