88 mariner 60hp trim tilt solenoid clicking but nothing...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hookedontronics

Reaction score
Did some wire pulling last night and in the effort of cleaning everything up i came across this problem, i put the same question in my build thread but figured i would get a better response here.

I was also able to hook up a battery and test the starter which works fine, but the trim up/down did not want to work...i could hear the solenoid clicking but nothing...what am i missing?

I also found this plug tucked in the battery/gas tank compartment. It comes straight from the motor, it has a three prong plug, (half of the plug is half a circle with a step down in it) this picture is pretty bad, my phone died when i tried to retake a better one. It came out where there was a battery tray...is it for another battery? Maybe a battery that works in conjunction for the trim/tilt?

3736C079-7482-4CC3-935E-66AEE1208398-710-000000EDD61232F7.jpg

You'll need to get the muli meter out to test the solenoid, associated wiring, and the motor that it operates. Just because it clicks doesn't mean it's good. The internal contacts could be bad.

Sometimes, when a solenoid clicks but "doesn't work"...the battery is charged too low to power it all of the way. Be certain to completely charge the battery before assuming that you have a problem. rich

Solenoid could be bad, a wire or connection could be bad, or whatever the solenoid is supposed to be operating could be bad. You're going to need to get a meter out and do some electrical diagnostics to determine where the failure is or take it to a shop. It's not that difficult as long as you have easy access to everything but that's usually the "stick in the spokes" that prevents more people from doing their own repairs.

Latest posts