89 Evinrude 30 hp not moving water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinness1

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post to your forum. Hopefully my question is not redundant. I did a quick search for my problem but did not find a solution. Feel free to send me to an old post if the answer is out there already.

My 89 Evinrude 30 hp runs great and it does the job on my 89 16' Sea Nymph. However, It recently stopped pushing water. I noticed it on the water but temp alarm never went off so I don't think high temps did any internal damage. Trolling motor was a champ taking us back to landing.

I suspected impellar trouble so I opened up lower end and found no damage other than a little wear. I replaced all pump components anyway. Started it with water running through ear muffs but still no water. Ran it at idle, forward, and reverse. It ran fine but no water.

I then pushed air through water exit hoses to be sure nothing was clogged. Started again and still no water. This time temp alarm went off. I decided to get help before taking more guesses.

This little motor seems very simple to work on but I don't know what to diagnose as the problem. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

All the best
guinness1

Maybe a sticking thermostat. When you remove and reinstall the gearcase, make sure the water tube grommets are intact and also that the tube is installed properly. Also, make sure the earmuffs fit tight or it won't pick up the water. Sometimes I can't get mine to pick up water on the muffs. I bought a different style. Hopefully it will work better.

Thermostat has zero to do with the overboard indicator.

When you inspected the impeller there is always a possibility you missed the drive key or you missed the water tube with the pump while installing the gearcase.
Submerge the engine to where water is above those lower mount clamshells and see if it pumps.

Great advice. I will check if I missed either of those things today and post results.

Turns out I must have missed intake pipe connection. Water flowing now. Thanks for the great advice.

New problem though. Looks like part of the throttle linkage is sheared off. I posted a YouTube video below. It doesn't look a bolt or nut is missing. Looks like the "arm" is sheared off the "post"?

I did not notice any throttle problems till I was working on motor today. Could it have been hanging on by a thread and it gave way today?

https://youtu.be/-C5jWbqvMmU

Looks like it broke.
This it?
throttle_link.png

expensive little thing. It will definitely be worthwhile to search for a good price.
Cheapest quick search low price I found is here...
https://www.shipwrecksalvage.net/johnson-evinrude-throttle-lever-and-pin-331477-398026-438075-p-4110.html

P/N 398026 superceded by P/N 0438075

EDIT
another choice....
https://www.bestboatparts.com/?page=2378&strpage=product&storeid=9&PHPSESSID=2d4a3ade8d8429203dcdc4c7a299e0a1

That has potential. I'll try to communicate with those companies tomorrow. Maybe I can get one of their sales or tech people to look at my video.

Thanks for doing that search. How did you know what to look/search for?

That is definitely the part that Sum found for you.
Usually the only way those fail is if the mag plate is stuck and the throttle is forced. Only other way is if it took a hit at some point or was pried on for some reason.

Glad you got the pumping issue straightened out.

Latest posts