Adding charging system to 1986 Merc 9.9 2-stroke?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, my 2,000W Wen is very comparable in decibel level as a Honda. I think it was 36dB if I recall correctly. Really like that little machine. It stays in my truck wherever I go.

36 dB is incredibly quiet - like a library. Comparable to the Honda 2000w would be more like 46dB. Still pretty darn quiet. Kind of like background noise.

I converted a 9.8 Merc to electric start a few years ago. On that motor everything was different, so I found a cheap donor from a pontoon that had everything I needed.

In that boat, I had a single group 29 deep cycle for everything. When the outboard was running full tilt, voltage would increase a little but I rarely ever saw it over 13. Not enough current to really make a difference, but I'm sure it helped. I still had to charge it at home.

Even running a generator could be a pretty expensive solution unless you have a very stout battery charger. It'll take several hours with a 10 amp charger. Many of those inverter generators have a DC output as well, but from what I've seen it's not much and probably not regulated.

36 dB is incredibly quiet - like a library. Comparable to the Honda 2000w would be more like 46dB. Still pretty darn quiet. Kind of like background noise.
I'm glad you commented. I looked, and mine is 48 dB. So not quite as quiet as the Honda at 46, but I got it for 1/5 the price, so I'm okay with that. You really don't notice it after a little while. The tone is really good, easy to ignore, just like the Honda.

The current ones says 51DB. Not sure what changed, but it seems that they cheapen up many things over time. Probably thinner materials or less insulation inside the case. (If they have that)

I'm glad you commented. I looked, and mine is 48 dB. So not quite as quiet as the Honda at 46, but I got it for 1/5 the price, so I'm okay with that. You really don't notice it after a little while. The tone is really good, easy to ignore, just like the Honda.

The current ones says 51DB. Not sure what changed, but it seems that they cheapen up many things over time. Probably thinner materials or less insulation inside the case. (If they have that)

48dB is pretty darn quiet. 50' away it is just a hum. My 3,800 watt WEN was in the low 50's with a small load and it was in a sound box. I was pretty happy with that. I only went with the higher capacity model in case we wanted to run the trailer's A/C. Turns out there is a simple modification to the A/C unit that would have allowed me to do that with a 2,000 watt model. Live and learn.