Alcohol wash out

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346461#p346461 said:
thill » Today, 19:32[/url]"]$3.29 versus $3.79 around here for ethanol free
Are you saying the $3.79 is 87 octane eth free or 100 octane low lead?

Boat2fast said:
This alcohol is so much trouble. There is a way to get it out.

The problem is that alcohol draws water vapor into the fuel(hygroscopic). It will pull it right out of the air. Water and alcohol combine and remain in solution...up to a point. After this point has been reached, adding more water causes phase separation. The alcohol/water comes out of solution and sinks to the bottom of the fuel container. If this container is your fuel tank, that puts the A/W right at your fuel pick-up. Guess what your engine gets next?

So the problem becomes the solution. If you want to remove the 10% alcohol from your 6gal fuel jug, put in 10% water(1/2gal), shake it up real good, and let it set. Hour minimum or until gas is clear, not cloudy at all(overnight is good). All the water/alcohol is now settled to the bottom of your fuel jug where you can siphon it right out. You have forced the phase separation. Prop the jug up on one corner and siphon from the bottom of that corner(low point) into a 1gal clear plastic container. Pull the hose out as soon as the A/W are gone. Any good gas that gets through the siphon hose rises to the top of the A/W container, so you can just pour it back in your fuel jug. Now you have a jug with roughly 5.5gal gas with no alcohol or water in it. You also have a 1gal bottle, mostly full, of water and alcohol with no gas in it. I don't advise drinking it. I haven't figured out anything to do with it yet.

The trouble with this is it's expensive. Time is valuable and this takes that time. Also you are removing 10% of the fuel you bought, making it over 11% more expensive.

Example: 10gal X 3.50/gal=35.00, 35.00/9gal =3.89/gal...not 3.85

I tell people all this and they think I'm nuts.

You do this, and you just lowered your 87 octane fuel to low 80's octane. I wouldn't run that in my engine.

Sorry for the late post. Just was surprised no one else mentioned this.

Edit: I see one poster above did. My mistake.

JMichael said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346461#p346461 said:
thill » Today, 19:32[/url]"]$3.29 versus $3.79 around here for ethanol free
Are you saying the $3.79 is 87 octane eth free or 100 octane low lead?

Sorry for the late reply...

The E-free 87 octane is about $0.50-$1.00 more per gallon around here. For awhile, it was $0.50 more, but lately, it's $0.80-$1.00 more.

I keep some E-free around, but mostly try to just use up my e-10 within 2-3 weeks, and I use a lot of B-12, Seafoam and Stabil.

It's the dance we have to dance with the fuel we get around here. A real pain.

-TH

Just found out this winter that I have a source of eth free fuel that's less than 5 miles away. They mainly sell tires, fuel, etc to farmers but they keep the only gasoline pump they have loaded with eth free gas. =D> Now I just gotta hope they sell it for close to the same as the e10 they sell in town.

The aviation gas is not the same as auto gas. My old ladies brother is a airplane and helicopter pilot and he said it is a different formulation than auto gas. He said you will have to change plugs every 80-100 hours of use. Can't remember why but he said it will build up on the plugs. Different type of lead additive than what leaded gas we used to use.

We use the 100LL in our race cars but we are not worried about changing the plugs as we run nitrous and the plugs are changed every other run anyway. Sometimes every run.

tomme boy said:
The aviation gas is not the same as auto gas. My old ladies brother is a airplane and helicopter pilot and he said it is a different formulation than auto gas. He said you will have to change plugs every 80-100 hours of use. Can't remember why but he said it will build up on the plugs. Different type of lead additive than what leaded gas we used to use.

We use the 100LL in our race cars but we are not worried about changing the plugs as we run nitrous and the plugs are changed every other run anyway. Sometimes every run.

Kerosene

Avgas is not the same as Jet Fuel. Jet Fuel is a high grade kerosene type for turbine powered(Jet) aircraft. It goes by a lot of different monikers, Jet, JetA, Jet A1, JetB, JP-4, JP-5, JP-8 and others. There are subtle differences in the different types. There are even different additives that are used at times. Avgas is for piston driven engines which is a higher octane gasoline with Low Lead hence the LL in 100LL. The nozzles on aircraft fuel trucks are different on the jet trucks from the av-gas trucks to try and keep mis-fuelings from happening but for some reason they still do. Just because a plane has a propeller does not mean is is piston powered either.

Latest posts