aluminium for modifications.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
What grade aluminum should I use to put reinforcements in a aluminium boat

Chance are way better that excellent that I don't know the answer, but I do know you are going to need to explain a little about what you want to do to get an answer from someone who does.

The floor is flimsy. I'm going to add some ribs to stiffen it up

I would not think it matters on the inside. I have seen from researching post that guys have built from the channel stuff you can buy at lowes. There are online metal suppliers that gives description of the different types of alloys. I just picked up a big quarter inch sheet at a scrap yard for a dollar a pound.

a lot of extrusions, ie angle, tubing, etc. is 6061 or 6063. Both are ok to use. 5052 and 5068 are Marine grade and is best to use. You won't have any problems with any of those above.

Just don't use 2xxx or 7xxx series.

craveman85 said:
I wont use the lowes junk. It likes to crack and break.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the aluminum from lowes is generally 6061 and 6063 which is ok to use but not as flexible as 5xxx

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320317#p320317 said:
craveman85 » Yesterday, 20:31[/url]"]The floor is flimsy. I'm going to add some ribs to stiffen it up

Have you considered adding a floor with additional support just laying on the existing skin? This would spread the weight and tend to remove any flexing.

Adding ribs would be daunting task to me.

I don't really want a floor. The boat is pretty much a flat bottom anyways.
Not much in the support department on this boat.
boatsmall03.jpg

Latest posts