Anchor reel rope in pvc conduit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering adding an Anchormate style anchor reel/crank to my rig.

All of the setups I see have pulleys and exposed anchor rope running from the bow to the crank which is often mounted in the aft of the boat. I have a tiller style 14" tin so that would be my situation.

My question is this. Has anyone ever heard of, or tried to, run that rope through a fairly straight section of pvc conduit? My boat is clean and free of loose wires as I have them all neatly run through pvc pipe and would prefer to keep things tidy.

Any thoughts or experience with rope inside pvc? My concerns are with friction and whether it would be too much resistance.

Thanks.

Should work great - just watch and wear points were the rode (rope) touches the PVC at an angle (you might want to use a 45 or some sort of guard or pulley at those points

You might be able to warm the pvc pipe with a heat gun and flair the ends.

I attached a piece of pex pipe to my boat yesterday to run my anchor rope. I have pulleys at both ends. Looks a lot cleaner and nothing sticking out to get caught.

I used 3/4" pvc for my anchor rope for many years. It goes have a small amount of friction,but not excessively so. Flaring the ends is a good recommendation.
I recently replaced a twenty year old ancor mate on my boat. I must say that my new one is not nearly with the same quality as my old one was. The release mechanism has already given problems and is very hard to work now at less than two years old.