Any body know how to fix it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theyyounggun

Reaction score
I finished the trailer and it worked great. I took it to lowes and to try it out and get some hardware. It worked great. I pulled into the driveway. It worked great. I ate dinner. It worked great. I crimped two of the wires. Now when you hit either one of the blinkers they both flash like hazard lights. When I hit the hazards nothing happened. Breaks and headlights work. Anybody else had this problem/know what wrong?

Normally a bad ground somewhere will cause this. What do you mean "you crimped 2 wires"? By accident or on purpose trying to finish stuff up? What color wires?

tnriverluver said:
Normally a bad ground somewhere will cause this. What do you mean "you crimped 2 wires"? By accident or on purpose trying to finish stuff up? What color wires?

Im positive none of the wires are crossed. The brown wires were what I had left to crimp. When I checked all of it the blinkers were working which had already been crimped the whole time. (I have a butt connecter with heat shrink for the splices)

Are you referring to the tap connectors when you say 'crimp'? These are used to tap the brown wire for the side marker lights. It may be possible that you tapped power from the wrong wire somewhere.

Also, check the connection of the white (ground) wire on your trailer's wire harness. If it's not secured to the trailer frame, this could cause flickering and other issues.

The ground from the vehicle will conduct through the trailer ball and will power the lights, even with the white wire unconnected from the trailer. But, if there is dirt or grease in the coupler, you can see how this would cause intermittent power to the trailer's lights. And this is why the white wire is connected to the trailer frame, to ensure a proper continuous ground.

Hope this helps.

Normally when I have had this problem in the past it is from the white wire not having a good ground connection on the trailer or vehicle. The trailer ball and hitch are not usually sufficient to serve as the ground because of paint, grease, rust , etc. That is what I would check first. Then if that doesn't fix it disconnect one of the brown wires at a time and see if that is where the problem is.

I cleaned up where the bolt for the ground bolts to the trailer with the dremel with a sand paper tip and got it down to bare metal but it still didnt do anything.

Be certain your light bulbs are installed correctly. Normally one high bayonet pin and one low pin keep the light bulbs from being installed incorrectly. I bought a set of tail lights from China where they had forced the bulb into one socket 180 degrees out. Both tail lights would flash until I got the light bulb out and installed it correctly. It took me a couple of hours but I lucked out and found the problem I decided to check the voltage inside the light sockets.

I was reading the instructions on the extension package and it said to connect the ground to the trailer so I did. Nothing. I saw where it mentioned coat the contacts in grease(supplied) so I did. Nothing.

Very odd.

Have you checked the power output coming from the vehicle? You can buy a little tester that has LED's, this will plug into your 4-pin plug on the vehicle, and the LED's will indicate if there is correct power/polarity on all the wires.

Another way to isolate it, is to use a 12V battery, with some test leads. Hook the negative to your trailer frame. Then, carefully touch the positive wire to the pins of your brown, green, and yellow wires, and see what happens.

When doing trial and error like this, it's always a good idea to put a fuse on your positive test lead, in case you have something wrong, you will pop the fuse, instead of frying your wire harness.

PSG-1 said:
Very odd.

Have you checked the power output coming from the vehicle? You can buy a little tester that has LED's, this will plug into your 4-pin plug on the vehicle, and the LED's will indicate if there is correct power/polarity on all the wires.

Another way to isolate it, is to use a 12V battery, with some test leads. Hook the negative to your trailer frame. Then, carefully touch the positive wire to the pins of your brown, green, and yellow wires, and see what happens.

When doing trial and error like this, it's always a good idea to put a fuse on your positive test lead, in case you have something wrong, you will pop the fuse, instead of frying your wire harness.
I could get one. But I dont think that is the problem cause I have 4 other utility trailers that I tow on a regular basis that work fine. But the extension has a fat male end that wont fit on the stock car 4-pin so I am having to use the big fat round plug because that is the only one that will work with the extension. Tonight I will back my wifes car up and try it to see if it could be the power problem.

****. If I were within driving distance of you, where I could physically see what's going on, I'm sure I could get it working. But it's hard to be able to say, sitting way over here in SC. :?

Are you using regular bulbs or LED lighting. Sometimes LED will not have enough resistance for the vehicles electric and can cause this. Also is this a new wiring harness? Is it possible you have a pinched wire somewhere? Also make sure the ground wire in the fixture is attached to the mounting bolts. Make sure the mounting bolts are able to ground to the frame. If these are LED factory fixtures they usually require their own separate ground wire instead of grounding to the frame requiring and additional wire that is not part of a regular green, yellow, brown, white set.

Latest posts