Any reason to NOT move batteries forward?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JL8Jeff said:
beetlespin said:
I would not move them up there unless they are AGMs (vibration resistant).

I destroyed two batteries in on one rough day on the Delaware river. They were never the same after that ride, and neither was I :shock:

Which part of the Delaware were you on? I'm north of Trenton in Washington's Crossing which is not tidal and the only rough ride is from the occasional boat coming the other way. I've run from Trenton down towards Philly which is tidal and it was rough in my sprint boat with the tug boat wakes. In that scenario, you would want to put some sort of vibration absorbant material under the battery to help minimize any potential damage. Most mod v boats don't take serious waves/wake very well so your local scenario would really determine if it might work or not.

I fish the tidal Delaware, Trenton and south once in a while. Even though I have four AGM's now they are not in the bow. With my boat it works better with the weigh more towards the back of the boat.

I moved mine from the rear storage to under the CC and it helped handling a good bit. As others have mentioned, the pounding they'd take being located under the front deck kept me from moving them further forward.

I’ve had forward batteries is several small boats. Cannibalized a good quality set of booster cables for wire from the motor. Worked good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some of my experiences with weight distribution in a 14' Alumacraft F7 and a 9.8 Merc.

No battery, gas tank in rear: 17-18mph
Battery, gas tank, and trolling motor in the rear: Awful, 11mph, 8 with passenger
Battery up front, gas tank in rear (casting decks and bow mount TM added): 15-17 mph, 14 with passenger sitting on front casting deck, 13 with them just in front of me.

With my setup weight has always been better added up front.