Anybody ever used Wagyu Beef?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of briskets on the smoker lately and experimenting with different meat qualities and techniques. If there's any interest in brisket smoking techniques, I'd be happy to start a thread on that, just ask. I've found significant differences in quality of the finished product when starting with meat rated Choice vs Select. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Wagyu beef; I've started investigating into where I can buy it online, but I figure that the DC metro area has to have a store with it readily available so I can compare costs (though I haven't started looking yet).

Wagyu is insanely good. However, I've never had it smoked or prepared in BBQ fashion, I've only ever had steaks cut from wagyu. I'll tell you this much though, for those that don't think they want to pay more for the hype... It's worth it.

one100grand said:
I've been doing a lot of briskets on the smoker lately and experimenting with different meat qualities and techniques. If there's any interest in brisket smoking techniques, I'd be happy to start a thread on that, just ask. I've found significant differences in quality of the finished product when starting with meat rated Choice vs Select. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Wagyu beef; I've started investigating into where I can buy it online, but I figure that the DC metro area has to have a store with it readily available so I can compare costs (though I haven't started looking yet).

I am a foodie and the wagyu/kobe beef can't be beat but price does keep me from eating it everyday. I would love to hear your techniques on smoking brisket.

I couldn't help myself and called around to a few specialty shops around here today. I found a place that I think might be a new go-to for me for special cuts. When I asked the guy about wagyu, he said yeah, they've always got it on hand (I felt like he thought it was a stupid question which was amusing); so I extended my line of questioning to heritage hog breeds - he said they've always got berkshire available and can get other breeds on request.

Wagyu brisket priced out at $12.99 a pound from them...the whole packer size I usually cook (11-15 pounds) puts that at roughly $142-$195; which is pretty steep compared to what I'm used to paying for choice (~$7/pound). I'm sorely tempted, but that's a lot of cash for a brisket; maybe I'll see if I can convince my neighbor to go in half with me on it since I usually give him a bunch.

If I was closer I'd go in with you just to have some for myself. I'm interested in how a slow smoke would go with wagyu. I can't imagine it would be bad!

From what I've read about wagyu, the higher fat content shortens the cook time, but I've got no experience with it. I think I'm probably going to buy a berkshire pork shoulder from that place as a trial piece for this weekend.

Latest posts