anybody lightly squeeze primer bulb during wot?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sinkingfast said:
jethro said:
You should not have to squeeze the primer bulb at all while the motor is running. If you do it indicates a fault.

Gollygeewhiz...I have made posts without thoroughly reading prier posts also. So I can tell you didn't get it..

Its all about redundancy in important systems. There is no fuel pressure indicator on these motors. Why not back up an important system when one should or can. Maybe you haven't had an "oh crap..I'm done" moment..I've had several. You have more faith that bad things won't happen than I do. Think about the term "cruelty of statistics" and how it applies to life.
Its kinda like racing ones auto around the streets with a passenger or others on the road. Why would something go wrong at that moment since it has not happened yet..much like a fuel system go down running wot from a storm. Other outboard systems are outa our hands but not the fuel system.

And yes...one should not have to operate the backup pump in normal operation unless there is a fault. But when times get critical why not keep track of fuel pressure...

I get it but had the same thought as Jethro and others. There will always be varying opinions. Bottom line is if you are convinced it is a best practice and it does no harm, then keep doing it. Nothing wrong with loss control!

Johnny said:

I wrote an article on this subject a while back . . . . .

https://www.tinboats.net/primer-bulb-primer/

Well done. People rebuild carbs, fuel pumps, clean tanks and replace fuel lines only to find out the primer bulb balls are gummed up. They can get intermittent and drive you nuts. Just make sure you get the inlet and outlet on the right side of the bulb and most bulbs have a direction arrow. Can't hurt to have two hose clamps on board either in case you need to clean one away from home. Dang ethanol!

Sinkingfast said:
jethro said:
You should not have to squeeze the primer bulb at all while the motor is running. If you do it indicates a fault.

Gollygeewhiz...I have made posts without thoroughly reading prier posts also. So I can tell you didn't get it..

Oh boy, very sorry. I will respond directly and more to the point to your original question (which you asked, by the way, let's keep that in mind)... No, I do not squeeze the primer bulb when running at WOT.

We're good..I just like to hear the sound of my voice...errr I mean read my own posts!

I just have a lot in this motor and the thought of squeaking it tight keeps me up at night.

As it is my first 3 hours on my Boyesen reeds were great but the jetting is starting to change during the 4th hour..gotta keep changing the low speed mix just like when the CC reeds went bad..

Latest posts