Anyone ever use Alumaloy???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea we sell it where i work, it's just brazing basicly kinda good idea to keep atleast some layin in the tool box with a torch handy, i ordered some to keep also i have a crack in the rail along the top of my transom im planing on welding it with my arch welder if that doesnt fix it then i'll go over it with the brazing alum rods.

im watching the videos on their website, i think im gonna buy these rather than pay someone to tig weld it for me. i can weld just not aluminum, but im sure i can do this it looks simple. and really strong

Too good to be true it usually is... just sayin. However if you get it and it works as advertised let us know I am a pretty fluent welder of steel and aluminum but these still interest me.

Aaron Lariscy said:
Too good to be true it usually is... just sayin. However if you get it and it works as advertised let us know I am a pretty fluent welder of steel and aluminum but these still interest me.

i feel the same, but i bought a pound and got a 1/2# free. watched all the video and seems legit, i liked the part they rebuilt the prop. exactly what i need. i hope it works as adertised and i will report back, said i should have it in 2 weeks. :roll:

I watched a demonstration at my local flea market. I did not buy any, but the stuff worked. The aluminum can was actually stronger at the weld and I was really impressed with the repair on the alternator casting. Especially when he hit it with the hammer and broke it. Not at the weld, but at a different spot brhind the weld.

No, I do not sell the product or have any connections with it. I am just passing on what I actually seen.

I have been using some aluminum hobart brazing rods from northern tool the past few days when you heat it it dents the boat but its as hard as a rock and as long as theres no cracks in the braze but i was filling in holes not cracks then you should be alright it also takes some time but way cheaper than a welder. Also remember heat the metal not the rod.

I actually bought some today at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in PA. I made the repair and the salesman beat the crap out of it with a chisel and hammer. It only dented the repaired area. He sold me twenty sticks fo $20.
He told me to clean the repair area with a stainless steel wire brush only. Heat only the repair area, not the rod. Circle the repair area with a bead and then continue inward stirring like if you were mixing something. That's what I did and the repair was done that quick.
It was actually an easy sale for him because i'm rebuilding an aluminum boat and these rods make permanent repairs.

thats good to hear! i ordered mine last night from their website, i bought 1# and got .5# free for 53$ shipped thats about 120 9" rods round about. thought it was a great deal if it works as advertised. im excited to get them and try them out.

the only thing i can see that might give me problems is haing holes close together that i need to fill. im afraid that when i finish one and heat up the next it will run out of the previous one, but well see.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17096&p=235082&hilit=durafix#p235082

I did what you are going to do and it worked like magic. Lots of grinding and work but a year later, I have very few leaks. Maybe 10% as before I did the rivets. Worth every penny imo.

The "alloy" in Alumaloy is approx. 75% zinc. Dissimilar metals in the presence of moisture do not play well with one another and over time it will result in galvanic corrosion of some sort. Since Alumaloy is mostly zinc, it will likely begin to deteriorate similar to a zinc anode on an outboard motor. Not really what you want if you are filling holes in the hull. It may be fine for other places on the boat but I wouldn't use it below the water line. Last summer I briefly considering using a similar product on my boat but when I discovered it was comprised mostly of tin, I decided to go another route.

Would Alumaloy be the same as this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-8-alumiweld-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html

Seems like it might be cheaper and accessible locally....

Tigerhunter said:
Would Alumaloy be the same as this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-8-alumiweld-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html

Seems like it might be cheaper and accessible locally....

That's the stuff that I was referring to that is primarily tin. Same thing, only different. Still dissimilar metals. Anything that is touted as a brazing material that melts that easily is probably going to be a bad choice for any application below the water line. It's going to be made of some metal alloy with a lower melting point than aluminum. Aluminum melts at 1,220 F, Zinc at 787 F and Tin at 449.4 F. A propane torch can reach temps. in excess of 3,600 F and you run the risk of burning through the hull if you try to use something with a higher melting point than zinc, tin or lead, none of which are suitable. Just bite the bullet and have it TIG/MIG welded or install a rivet in the hole(s). It's not that expensive and the peace of mind that comes with it is worth every penny.

I plan on most likely using rivets to fill holes and doing steel flex over them.

I was thinking of using this stuff to maybe make some framing where it wouldn't be so important (compartments that wouldn't be hard to redo if it did go bad).

I might give it a try to see how it goes, I plan on stripping my boat down.....again. Fourth times a charm!!!

I bought some on eBay a while back and tried to repair a crack in the aluminum by the front handle on my Jon boat. I couldn't get the base metal hot enough with my propane torch, ended up having a shop fix it the right way. I still have some left and am planning on trying to fix my messed up prop with it, we'll see how that goes

Latest posts