Are you stern heavy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dave, if that sweet 115 is too heavy I'll take it off your hands lol.

I'm repowering "TheArk" here before spring. I'm rigged for an Etec. I got a price on a new 115 Etec of $7k, yes $7k plus $200 install and tax. Another Etec/Yammie dealer called BS.. he could not match the price, not even close. Same dealer gave me a hell of a price on a 2013 F115 of $8600 plus tax with all brand new rigging, water separators yada yada. Yammies are a hell of an engine but so are the Etecs. The new ones are as quiet as any 4 stroke I have heard even my Yamaha 90 on my G3. Etec comes with a 6 year warranty while the Yammie comes with a 5 year warranty under the current promos. I can do a LOT to my boat for $1600 and have the extra year of warranty as well. Leaning towards the Etec as of right now.

Stern heavy on a Lowe Big Jon 1648. Six gallon gas tank and battery behind back (only) bench in my boat and north of 300lbs of captain running a tiller handle 50hp Mariner. Getting ready to have surgery to hopefully curb that captain weight by a hundred and some change, but still heavy regardless.

JustinNC said:
Stern heavy on a Lowe Big Jon 1648. Six gallon gas tank and battery behind back (only) bench in my boat and north of 300lbs of captain running a tiller handle 50hp Mariner. Getting ready to have surgery to hopefully curb that captain weight by a hundred and some change, but still heavy regardless.

Hey Justin, thanks for the reply brother.

First and foremost I’m glad you’re being conscious about your health. You will be and feel so much better when you’re at a healthy weight. Well battery probably weighs 40 to 50lbs, 6 gal of fuel at about 6.2 is almost 40lbs just a guess but your motor probably weighs 250lbs.
So that’s like 340lbs and because it’s a tiller you’re probably sliding back at bit on the bench so, Cap at 300, batt, fuel and motor at say 340 for a grand total of 640lbs at or near the stern. So that weight and it only being 48 wide I can see for sure it being a little stern heavy.

I need to weight my jack plate it feels pretty heavy, I think between 40 and 50lbs. My motor is 401but fuel; batteries, console and cooler are all forward. Considering that and the float pods I think I’m going to be ok. I’m going to do a float test shortly. Just going to put her in the lake naked and mark the water line at the back of the transom when she is at rest, them my 215 pound butt and my friend who ways almost 200 are going to stand on the float pods and see how much the draft changes.
This will give me an idea anyway. I really think between everything being forward whatever that number is going to decrease once I get her rigged. Thanks again for your reply.

My tank is actually infront of the back bench, but up against the bench. It certainly is stern heavy and makes me glad I have electronic trim and a hydrofoil. She'll do 31 with just me and my stuff...26-27 on an average day, 2 people, crappie fishing, or if there is a little chop on the water.

I need to reevaluate my tank situation. I would like for them to be behind the bench, but there isn't enough room. I would also like to put some hatches in the bench for storage of some sort but dont want to add weight. Trying to figure out if maybe putting the battery and a storage box for my other odds and ends of insignificant weight.

Not to hijack your thread, but I wonder if the bench can be moved forward. Ill have to check dimensions.

JustinNC said:
My tank is actually infront of the back bench, but up against the bench. It certainly is stern heavy and makes me glad I have electronic trim and a hydrofoil. She'll do 31 with just me and my stuff...26-27 on an average day, 2 people, crappie fishing, or if there is a little chop on the water.

I need to reevaluate my tank situation. I would like for them to be behind the bench, but there isn't enough room. I would also like to put some hatches in the bench for storage of some sort but dont want to add weight. Trying to figure out if maybe putting the battery and a storage box for my other odds and ends of insignificant weight.

Not to hijack your thread, but I wonder if the bench can be moved forward. Ill have to check dimensions.

Al good,
Have you considered float pods? The time effort and resources to move the bench forward may end up not being such a great return on your investment, I don’t know. Why not invest in something you know will help support the extra weight. Besides if you’re running with a tiller you would have to get a tiller extension, not that they are expensive, but they don’t steer as tight when you get further away.

Country Dave said:
JustinNC said:

Al good,
Have you considered float pods? The time effort and resources to move the bench forward may end up not being such a great return on your investment, I don’t know. Why not invest in something you know will help support the extra weight. Besides if you’re running with a tiller you would have to get a tiller extension, not that they are expensive, but they don’t steer as tight when you get further away.

Never thought much about it, but after I mentioned moving the bench, I had thought about putting it where the front bench used to be, and putting a seat pedistal where I needed to be for the tiller handle(obviosuly after re-doing the floor)but the dimensions of the boat won't allow now that I think about it. I was just thinking it would be a good aluminum locker with little to no money in it, but like you say, more trouble than it's worth.

I have given the pods a little thought, but I havent had the disposable income to give them a serious look. Tax time is here, so I may give them a little harder look, but right now, my main concern is extending the front deck and putting storage hatches in it, and a new trolling motor. I can live with the transom weight for now. I get a little overwash at the transom if I kill the throttle from wide open to nothing all at once, and OCCASIONALLY backing in/taking out if the lake is rough or if there is wake. Nothing I can't deal with. Never take any other wise, and even taking a big wake from behind doesn't do it. Just killing the motor all at once (transom heavy it will squat and slam the breaks when you let off as you know) and backing it in when the lake is rough. Certainly not enough to cause concern for the areas and conditions I fish. I wouldn't want to get stranded when it's blowing 40+ straight down the lake and get my stern in the wind, but if that were the case, I'd drop anchor off the bow, until help arrive. Even if it didn't hold, it would keep the bow in the wind.

I like the idea of the float pods.