Attaching aluminum angle to the boat sides. Best method?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccm

Reaction score
To help run bracing when I go to build my casting/flipping deck I plan on attaching aluminum angle to the sides of my boat. This may or may not be under the water line ( still figuring out deck height) and I was thinking about using SS bolts, washers, locknuts, and a dab of 3M 5200 to seal it. Is this feasible? In my boat the factory originally riveted sections of angle to help support the benches. I don't have the tools to do solid riveting and I feel that pop rivets would be to weak. So have I figured out a good method or is there a better way?
Just looking for some input and advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

That is exactly how I attached it on my boat. I use SS machine screws, nylock nuts and appropriate washers

Also, fabbed "L" brackets to mount to

Worked great and was very fast

That will work.

But a pop rivet every 3-4" would be enough to support the weight of a deck. However if they are not blind rivets, they could leak. I used them on a part of my project. My back seat is pop riveted with 12 per side and we stand on it all day to fish. But I did have a couple that the mandrel inside came out and leaked. A little dab of silicone and I have a dry boat.

If your asking for the "Best" method, welding would be first followed by solid rivets. I know you said you don't have the tools, but if you already have an air compressor the rest of what you need would be less than $30. Since you have a riveted boat a way to properly set solid rivets is a must IMO. Here is the air hammer I used to set MANY solid rivets during my mods.

https://www.harborfreight.com/medium-barrel-air-hammer-with-chisel-69866.html